Cheesy Barley With Chicken Sausage
Barley is a delicious hearty grain that is commonly used in soups and savory meals. It is high in fiber and calcium and contains less calories than brown rice and quinoa.
I love using different grains in my meals to keep it interesting. They all have such unique flavors that can be used so many different ways. This easy dish will keep you feeling full for a while!
This is a great recipe to meal prep and pack for lunches or eat as a meal. It is also a good pre or post workout meal.
I used pre-packaged chicken sausages but any other protein would make a great substitution.
Check out my instagram @tikofoods for more delicious recipes!
- 2 Servings
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 35 Minutes|Total time: 40 Minutes
- Bring 3 cups of chicken stock to a boil
- Add 1 cup of barley to the boiling chicken stock, then cover and reduce to a simmer
- Stir occasionally and let simmer for up to 35 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed
- While the barley is cooking, slice the chicken sausage into rounds then pan sear on medium until browned. Set aside for later.
- Once the liquid is absorbed and the barley has softened, add the juice from 1/2 a lemon, the cream, the cheese, and seasonings then stir together
- Let it thicken and add more cheese if necessary
- Add in the chicken sausage and spinach, then stir until the spinach wilts
- Serve with fresh Parmesan on top and enjoy!
- I used herb, feta, and spinach chicken sausages but any will do
- Shredded chicken would be good as well