Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
If you are a fan of the classic buffalo chicken dish, you are going to love these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini! Ready in 30 minutes, this dinner is low in carbs and loaded with flavor!
There are only a few ingredients in this dish, but they are packed with flavor and when you put everything together, it's a delicious and low carb dinner. If you shop at Aldi, all these ingredients can be found there.
Zucchini- 3 zucchini is all you need for this recipe. Try to find medium ones if you can. As zucchini get larger and larger they get more and more seeds. Zucchini is a super low carb vegetable that is loaded with amazing vitamins and minerals.
Ground Chicken- The classic dip uses canned chicken. Ground chicken gives a better texture and it can be found everywhere. Rotisseries chicken would work here too. Just take the meat off the bones and add it where you add the ground chicken.
Hot Sauce- Use your favorite hot sauce. Frank's Hot Sauce is the classic ingredient.
Cream Cheese- Gives the stuffing a nice creamy texture and mellows out the heat from the hot sauce. Don't use low fat cream cheese, it tends to be too watery.
Cheddar Cheese- To top the zucchini and add a melty goodness to the zucchini. Use white cheddar, sharp, very sharp, whatever types of cheddar you have. If you are conscious of carbs, try to stay away from low fat cheese, as that tends to have sugar in it and more carbs.
Let's Make This Dinner!
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Let's Make These Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini!
- Hollow out the zucchini
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the zucchini and cut the ends off. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the insides from the zucchini. The easiest way to do this is to hold the zucchini in your hand and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the zucchini. Place the scooped out insides into a bowl and add the zucchini to a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Place them in the oven for 15 minutes.
Chop up the zucchini flesh that you scooped out and place it in a sauté pan. Add the ground chicken and sauté on high for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Take the sauté pan off the heat and add the hot sauce, granulated garlic, and cream cheese. Mix everything together until well combined.
Carefully take the zucchini out of the oven and add the buffalo chicken mixture to each of the zucchini.
Top the zucchini with cheddar cheese and place the baking dish back into the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, carefully take the zucchini out of the oven and enjoy!
What are other variations?
Make it Vegetarian!- Check out my Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini for a vegetarian take on zucchini boats.
Make it Mexican!- Instead of stuffing these zucchini with buffalo chicken, why not stuff them with taco mixture! Use the filling in these Taco Stuffed Peppers to stuff these zucchini. YUM! Can you freeze these?
You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to freeze them, be aware that zucchini have a lot of water in them, so when you defrost them, they tend to lose their texture and get kind of mushy. These are best served right out of the oven, or reheated in the oven.What can I serve these with?
These would be great on their own, or with a side salad. Roasted broccoli or cauliflower would be a delicious and healthy side dish as well.
Did you give this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini a try? I’d love to hear from you! Give me a shout on Instagram or Facebook and share this recipe on Pinterest! And don't forget to check out some other drool worthy recipes below! Thanks for sharing this journey with me and enjoy these delicious recipes!
- 10 Minute Four Bean Salad
- 10 Minute Tuscan Tortellini Salad
- Instant Pot Peach Jam
- Garden Vegetable and Herb Pasta Salad
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini
- 3 Zucchini Medium
- 1 lb Ground Chicken 16 ounces
- ½ cup Hot Sauce
- 4 tbsp Cream Cheese Full Fat
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic or Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese Full Fat
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the zucchini and remove the ends. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- With a spoon, carefully scoop out the insides of the zucchini and place the flesh in a bowl.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place the zucchini in the baking dish, flesh side up. Place the zucchini in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the zucchini is baking, chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini and place the flesh in a sauté pan. Add the ground chicken and sauté the mixture for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, take the pan off the heat and add the hot sauce, cream cheese, and granulated garlic. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Carefully take the zucchini out of the oven and stuff them with the chicken mixture.
- Top the zucchini boats with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place the baking dish back in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheddar cheese is completely melted. Enjoy!