Forget everything you know about the typical loaded baked potato. This healthier, flavor packed Roasted Veggie Loaded Baked Potato topped with creamy melted cheese is a perfect meatless meal.
Roasted Veggie Loaded Baked Potato
Often times, potatoes get overlooked and have a bad rap when someone is trying to ‘eat healthier’. Poor potatoes. Potatoes are OK to eat! A potato is a great source of healthy complex carbohydrates. Loading a baked potato with heaps of vegetables makes this meal a combination made in healthy indulgence heaven.
What You Will Need:
- Your choice of vegetables
- Olive oil
- Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, red pepper flakes
- Velveeta cheese
- Can of Rotel tomatoes
- Baking Sheet
Baking potatoes can take a while to cook – about an hour in the oven depending on the size. When you make this recipe, start by prepping the potatoes and get them in the oven first.
Next, you can chop and season the vegetables. Once you are finished with that process, it is usually time to put the vegetables in the oven to start roasting.
Shortly after you get the veggies in the oven, it is time to make my favorite part of this meal – the cheesy queso! I grew up on classic Velveeta queso, so that is what I use, but you can make your own cheese sauce based on personal preference.
If you make the Veggie Loaded Baked Potato with these processes in mind, everything will be ready at the same time to assemble and eat!
How do you cook a baked potato?
Heat the oven to 450* F. First, clean the potato by scrubbing it with water. Poke 5-10 holes all around the potato using a sharp knife. Poking the potato will help release steam while it cooks. Next, brush the potato with olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the potato on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes then flip and bake for another 20 minutes. Gently squeeze the potato to make sure it is soft and cooked through. You can also poke the potato with a fork to see if it enters easily. If it is not cooked through, continue cooking in 5 minute increments.How do you cut a baked potato?
Using a small paring knife, cut the potato lengthwise and give it a gentle squeeze to open.Are potatoes healthy?
Yes! A potato is a great source of healthy complex carbohydrates which are one of the best forms of energy from food. Complex carbs are a slow burning fuel to give you energy to power through your day or a workout and help maintain the muscle you have built. And remember, as with anything in life, balance and moderation are key to a healthy lifestyle.What other vegetables can you add to this Roasted Veggie Loaded Baked Potato recipe?
The possibilities are endless! You can add: cauliflower, mushrooms, jalapeño peppers, asparagus, etc.
Course: MainCuisine: American, VegetarianDifficulty: EasyServings
Forget everything you know about the typical loaded baked potato. This healthier, flavor packed Roasted Veggie Loaded Baked Potato topped with creamy melted cheese is a perfect meatless meal.Ingredients
4 baking potatoes
2 red bell peppers
2 green bell peppers
2 red onions
2 lb. broccoli, or 2 broccoli heads
1 pint cherry tomatoes
- Cheese Sauce Topping
16 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 can Rotel tomatoes, with juices
- Spice Mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450* F
- Clean potatoes. Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put potatoes on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Chop vegetables into medium-sized pieces. Add all vegetables to a large baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the spice mix. Stir to mix. Place vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes to roast.
- Flip potatoes over and bake them for another 20 minutes or until done. A fork should easily be able to pierce the potato when they are done cooking.
- Make the Cheese Sauce by heating up cubed Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes in the microwave for 30 second increments. Stir in between each increment until the sauce is melted completely.
- Assemble! Cut the potatoes lengthwise and gently squeeze to open. Fluff the inside of the potato with a fork. Fill your potato with roasted veggies and top with cheese sauce.
- You can use any vegetables you prefer in this recipe. Some other veggie suggestions are: cauliflower, mushrooms, jalapeño peppers, asparagus, etc.
Roasted Veggie Loaded Baked Potato
- 4 baking potatoes
- olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red onions
- 2 lb. broccoli, or 2 broccoli heads
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, with juices