Potato Soup With Ground Beef
This ground beef and potato soup recipe is cheesy and packed with vegetables. It's seasoned perfectly with salt, pepper, rosemary, Italian seasonings, and smoked paprika (you can also experiment with spices and use your favorites in this recipe)! I love this soup so much because it can be made with minimal ingredients in just 30 minutes and you'll only need one large pot to whip it up. It's great for a super busy weeknight and kid approved.
If you want more delicious and speedy comfort food, try this Creamy Taco Soup, or my incredibly yummy Chicken Gnocchi & Wild Rice Soup.
Potato Soup With Ground Beef
- 1 lb. lean ground beef *97/3 *see tip below
- 1 medium yellow onion *or white *peeled and diced
- 2 large whole carrots *peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic *see tip below
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon rosemary *dried/crushed
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika *see tip below
- 2 medium russet potatoes *peeled & diced into very small, half inch pieces *see tip below
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 14.5oz cans (or 3 & 2/3 cups) vegetable broth *or chicken broth *see tip below
- 2/3 cup heavy cream *or half and half
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese *or yellow *see tip below
- Extra shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, parsley flakes
- Peel and dice onion, carrots and potatoes. Set aside.
- Place a soup pot or large Dutch oven on the stovetop and brown ground beef over medium heat.
- Once beef is fully browned, add diced onion and carrots to the pot. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, until onion become soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté 30-60 seconds longer.
- Add all seasonings to the pot and mix well.
- Add diced potatoes, corn, peas, broth and heavy cream. Stir to combine and cover the pot. Turn heat to high and bring ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded cheese to the hot soup and stir until fully melted. Do a taste test and add a bit more salt/pepper if more flavor is needed.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls, add desired toppings and enjoy!
- Ground beef: if you use a higher fat content beef, drain excess fat before adding onion and carrots to the pot.
- Minced garlic: I always keep a jar of minced garlic in my refrigerator. It's super convenient! You can also mince up 1-2 fresh cloves.
- Smoked paprika: regular paprika will also work, but I love using smoked because it adds so much flavor!
- Broth: I love having bouillon cubes or broth base in my kitchen at all times. This option is much more convenient than buying canned or boxed broth.
- Potatoes: russet or Yukon gold work well in this recipe. I prefer to peel my potatoes but you don't have to. Dicing your potatoes into very small pieces will ensure they cook quickly. Plus, you'll get a little bit of potato in every bite!
- Cheese: freshly shredded offers the best flavor, but bagged/pre-shredded cheese will do the trick.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published December 26th, 2022 3:42 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!