Looking for a hearty, creamy soup recipe? Broccoli Cheese soup is easy to make using a mix from Mad Dash Mixes!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
I love to serve a hearty, creamy soup when the temperatures start to drop. Since Fall is finally here (in most parts of the country), I decided to make soup for dinner.
To make the soup, you will need the Broccoli Cheese Soup mix from Mad Dash Mixes, water, milk and cheese. The recipe calls for whole milk or Half & Half. I think you could use 2 % milk but the resulting soup will not be a thick or creamy.
The original recipe also uses Velveeta cheese. Since I personally don’t care for Velveeta, I used a blend of shredded cheese. The choice of cheese will effect the taste of the finished soup. By using a blend of mild cheese such as mozzarella & colby cheese, the soup I made was milder in flavor than the soup would have been if I had used the Velveeta. The choice of cheese may also affect the color of the soup. I imagine the Velveeta would make the soup look more golden in color.
After combining the soup mix with the water & milk, bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. The picture below is what the soup looked like after simmering for 20 minutes . Please remember to stir the soup occasionally while it is simmering. The soup can scorch if the heat is too high so use a low heat setting.
After the soup has simmered for 20 minutes, you are ready to add the cheese of your choice. Stir the soup until the soup is well blended.
A tip: If you are making the soup to be served at a later time, say at a tailgate or a picnic, the soup should be transferred into a thermos or something to keep it warm before adding the cheese. The cheese will be added to the individual serving bowls at your event. This helps keep the cheese from becoming tough from prolonged exposure to heat.
A Hearty, Creamy Soup
After the cheese has been added, the soup has a very creamy texture!
Ready to Eat!
The finished soup is ready to enjoy! I found it to be really easy to make . It was very delicious!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 packet Broccoli Cheese Soup Mix by Mad Dash Mixes
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 cups whole milk or Half & Half
- 8 ounces Velvetta Cheese or other cheese of your choice other shredded cheese can be substituted for the Velveeta
- Combine Broccoli Cheese Soup mix with 3 cups cold water in saucepan
- Add 2 cups milk or Half & Half to the saucepan
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. As soon as the soup begins to boil, reduce heat.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Stir the soup occasionally. use low heat to avoid scorching the soup
- After the soup has finished simmering, add the cheese and stir until well mixed.
- 8 ounces of the shredded cheese of your choice can be substituted for the Velveeta Cheese
- The cheese is added to the soup right before serving . If you are making the soup to serve later (at a tailgate for example), keep the cheese separate and add it to the individual bowls. This keeps the cheese from becoming tough if it exposed to prolonged heat.