Chilli Con Veggie
Not a week goes by without our beloved Chilli Con Veggie being served up! It’s super simple and quick to cook. So perfect for those hungry evenings when culinary energy levels are low. Boasting a triple bean protein hit, with juicy sweetcorn on a smokey tomato base, this is THE ultimate cheap, canned, comfort food for the ‘Coronaverse’. Whether served with freshly steamed brown basmati rice alongside roasted sweet potato, encased in a tortilla wrap, stacked in a taco shell or simply served on toast, this fiery vegan chilli is deliciously versatile. Plus it freezes exceptionally well for up to 3 weeks.
Chilli Con Veggie
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 brown onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tsp dried chilli
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato puree concentrate
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 & 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g canned black beans (in water)
- 1 x 400g canned red kidney beans (in water)
- 1 x 400g canned cannellini beans (in water)
- 1 x 200g canned sweet corn (in water)
- 1 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a wok, set on a high heat. (I find cooking in a wok super speedy). Dice the red and brown onion - sauté until glossy and transparent.
- Slice the red pepper and add to the wok, along with the dried chilli and smoked paprika.
- Next add the tomato puree concentrate and tomato sauce, reduce the heat and give it a good thorough stir.
- Drain the black beans, red kidney beans and cannellini beans and add to the wok (be careful not to over drain - retain a little of the ‘bean juice’ - this will make for a more velvety and viscous Chilli Con Veggie).
- Add the sweet corn and chopped tomatoes to the wok. And give it another good thorough stir.
- Lastly, crush the garlic with a press and add to the wok, along with the balsamic vinegar and a little crack of salt n’ pepper.
- Allow to simmer on a low heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes.