Slow Cooker Beef Goulash Recipe
This easy slow cooker beef goulash is a perfect winter warmer recipe that takes next to nothing to prepare! This American-style variation on the popular Hungarian stew is sure to become a family favourite crockpot recipe for those busy days when you don’t want to spend time cooking.
Slow Cooker Beef Goulash
Beef goulash is a hearty stew or soup, with rich flavours. It can be served over noodles or with potatoes. Or like this American goulash recipe, with pasta instead.
You can make goulash on the stop top or in the oven, however, our favourite way is in the slow cooker so we can prepare earlier in the day and have it ready to serve at dinner time.
Can You Freeze Goulash?
Absolutely! One of my favourite things about most slow cooker recipes is the fact that they freeze fairly well.
Goulash is a great meal to make ahead in bulk (this recipe makes a generous serving) and separate into single portions for later. It is a freezer meal we make often.
- Taco Potato Bake
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Slow cooker pulled pork
How To Make Goulash
There is little prep needed to make this slow-cooked goulash recipe. All you really need to do is brown your ground beef in a pan before adding it to the slower cooker.
Browing your beef mince stops it from cooking too fast.
Then add the rest of your ingredients, with the exception of pasta and cheese. Give it a stir every now and again to ensure everything is evenly cooked. This prevents any parts of your goulash ingredients drying out too.
After slow cooking for 1 hour on low or 2 hours on high, stir in your pasta and cheese. Allow to cook for a further 3 hours on low setting or 6 on high.
What To Serve With Goulash
American Goulash is a meal that is ready to serve and eat the moment it has finished cooking. You don’t need to make anything to go with it, since the pasta makes it a lot more filling than a traditional Hungarian goulash recipe.
If you do want a side dish to go with your goulash, a side salad is a perfect choice. An Italian garden salad would be a great choice, to balance out the rich flavours with something light and fresh.
Here are a few more family favourite dinner recipe ideas:
- Baked Feta Pasta – This famous Tiktok pasta recipe just got even better!
- Mexican Potato Casserole – Add a twist for taco Tuesday with this combination of two favourites – tacos and potato bake.
- Mum’s Tuna Mornay – This is a family favourite from my own childhood, sharing mum’s classic recipe.
Slow Cooker Beef Goulash Recipe
- 500 grams Beef Mince
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Garlic
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- 1 29 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 14 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Elbow Pasta
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- Use a pan to brown the ground beef.
- Place browned minced beef into the slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Add in sugar, Italian seasoning & garlic.
- Stir in the can of diced tomatoes.
- Pour in the beef stock.
- Add soy sauce and tomato sauce to slow cooker.
- Mix everything well and cook for 1 hour on high.
- After one hour, add the uncooked pasta and cheddar cheese.
- Cook for an additional 3 hours on high setting.
- Serve & enjoy!
- Note: You can also cook this recipe on low if you want to make earlier in the day. Simply double the cooking time and add your pasta and cheese at 2 hours instead of 1.
How long can you keep in the freezer?