Easy Malaysian Lamb Curry
Craving for some curry? This easy Malaysian style lamb curry is scrumptious, flavourful and appetising. Whether you choose to cook your curry on a stovetop, instant pot or slow cooker, this recipe is easy to make with simple steps. It goes perfectly well with rice or flatbread!
EASY MALAYSIAN LAMB CURRY Curry is one of my favourite home cook dish. Me and my husband enjoy curry to an extent that we could eat it everyday without getting bored! This could be an influence by our culture background and country of origin, Malaysia.
Malaysia, a multicultural country is one of the popular spice producer among Southeast Asia. There are 3 major ethic groups in Malaysia (Malay, Chinese and Indian) and each group have their own culinary traditions. It is known as a food paradise with it wide range of cuisines. There are a mixture of flavours among these cuisines. A great example of fusion cuisine is Nyonya food, a mix of Malay and Chinese food ingredients which incorporate a lot of spices and herbs in cooking. My type of food that I grew up with!
Today, I’m going to share with you my lamb and potato curry recipe that I have been making many times for my family. This lamb curry recipe is using the popular Malaysia Baba’s meat curry powder with incorporation of the others two important ingredients in Nyonya cooking, coconut milk and spices.
This curry recipe is pack with beautiful aromatic flavour, delicately spiced and super appetising. To serve the curry, you can either pair it with rice or roti canai which is flatbread. I served the lamb curry with NASI KUNING (yellow rice or turmeric rice). If you are not a lamb fan, you can swap it with chicken or beef. Baba’s curry powder can be found from most Asian grocery stores.
Check out my other lamb recipes if you like this easy Malaysian lamb curry! BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH INSTANT POT SLOW COOK GRILLED LAMB LEG on dreamtocook.com
Easy Malaysian Lamb Curry
- 4 lamb chops about 600g, cut in chunk
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp meat curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp ground chili
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup, 250ml canned coconut milk
- 2 cups water– salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander to sprinkle (optional)
- Prepare you ingredients by cutting the lamb into chunk, dice potatoes and slice onion.
- In a small bowl, add curry powder, cumin, coriander, chilli and vegetable oil, stir well to combine.
- Heat up wok and sauté curry paste on low medium heat for 1-2 minute until fragrance. Add onion and cook for another minute, stir constantly to prevent burn.
- Add lamb chunks, turn on high heat and stir fry for 2 minutes until lamb is slightly brown and coated well with curry paste. Add water and bring to boil then turn to lower heat and simmer and cook lamb for 30 minutes until tender.
- Turn on high heat and add coconut milk and diced potatoes into the wok. Once it boils, lower the heat and simmer for a further 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander before serve. Serve warm with rice or roti canai. Enjoy!