Chickpea Tortilla Soup
As a plant-based cook, chickpeas are a godsend! They are so so versatile, and they work great in place of chicken for things like salad and pastas and soups! The cooler weather means that it is 100% SOUP SZN and I am here for it! I don’t often do Mexican inspired recipes, but a friend suggested this to me, and it turned out SO good! This take on the traditional chicken tortilla soup uses chickpeas instead of chicken and creates a super flavorful and warming dish that’s filling enough for a meal! Adjust the spice to your liking and it’s perfect!
Chickpea Tortilla Soup
- 2 corn tortillas cut into strips
- vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 15 oz. can of corn kernels drained
- 1/2 15 oz. can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 1 can mild rotel
- 2-3 tbsp cashew cream or vegan sour cream
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- chili powder
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro
- Starting with a bit of vegetable oil, add your diced onion, carrot, and jalapeño to a large pot until the onion are translucent.
- Add 1/2 of the chickpeas (so a 1/4 of the can).
- Next, add the corn, black beans, and the rotel and stir until well combined.
- Add the salsa verde and the vegetable broth. Then, stir again until well combined.
- Add in a good bit of garlic powder and onion powder, until it is flavorful.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat about an inch deep of vegetable oil. Once the oil is hot enough to fry, but not smoking, slowly add in your tortilla strips. You may have to do this a few times to avoid crowding the pan.
- Fry the tortilla strips until they are crispy and golden, then remove them and set them on a paper towel to drain.
- Immediately sprinkle them with salt, garlic powder, and chili powder, then let them cool.
- Add the remaining chickpeas to the soup and stir.
- Lower the heat or turn it off at this point. Then, stir in a scoop of cashew cream to create the creamy soupy texture.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with cilantro, avocado, tortilla strips, lime wedge, and vegan sour cream.
- As far as spice-level, the use of jalapeño is entirely up to you. You can omit it entirely for a very very mild soup, or ramp it up if you really like the heat! Another easy swap would be to avoid frying your own tortillas (even though frying them yourself is yummier) and just crumble some tortilla chips on top!