Talk about a light, healthy, delicious salad you can eat anytime! This is a meal in itself if you are a vegetarian or makes a great side dish. Bring this to your next potluck BBQ and I am sure the bowl will be empty before the party is over. I recently have been trying to eat more "plant based protein" - I wouldn't say I am 100% vegetarian but I have cut way back on the meat. This is a hearty dish that, like I said, is a meal in itself. I served this for dinner along side a crockpot chicken thigh that was also very easy to make - just put chicken thighs in a crockpot on low with 1 jar of Salsa Verde and a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch and cook for 8 hours. Super easy and delicious. My husband does not like quinoa but since I am the cook I make him eat what I make. He squirreled up his nose, "is this that quinoa cr*p?" Trust me, it is delicious. After a few minutes I asked him how he liked it and guess what?! It was gone and he said, "It actually was pretty good." What more of a review do you need than that?!
Zesty Lime Quinoa Salad
You can use can corn or frozen corn that has been thawed. If you like more spice you can always use jalapeños. I chose to use some banana peppers I had in my garden for a mild flavor.
Look at the colors! You know it is healthy when you use lots of colors in your food.
Time to make the dressing...I went to Queen Creek Olive Mill in Mesa, AZ and picked up this Mexican Lime Olive Oil and yum, yum, yum!! I used it instead of regular EVOO. I know this is not that accessible to get so just use extra virgin olive oil.
Put the dressing on top.
Give me a spoon and the bowl!
Zesty Lime Quinoa Salad
- 1 C Quinoa
- 2 C Chicken Broth
- 1 (15oz can) Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz can) kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 C cilantro
- 2 Banana Peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/4 C Purple onion
- 12 Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 C Lime juice
- 1/4 Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until translucent and seeds have spiraled out. Uncover, and fluff and let cool about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, and onion.
- In a small bowl combine the dressing of lime juice, olive oil, cumin, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Combine quinoa in large bowl with mixture and pour on dressing. Mix well and then cover and cool in the fridge at least an hour before serving. Before serving, mix again.