Individual Chicken Pot Pies
I can honestly say that each and every person in my house is a fan of the popular comfort food of Chicken Pot Pie. I love that it is a one pot prep and it is chockfull of veggies and meat. It's an all-in-one dish that so many people can get behind.
Like so many of you, I am sure your evening are filled with late work nights, kids activities and driving abound which is why I like to prepare my chicken pot pie in individual crocks. Sometimes, two of us get to eat at a different time and it is nice to be able to not have soggy pie crusts.
These individual pot pies cook up in 30 minutes and are a perfect weeknight meal that can be prepped in the morning and enjoyed in the evening. Not that is what I call a dinner win!
Individual Chicken Pot Pies
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus extra with seasoning
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra with seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 lg celery stalks, chopped
- 3 lg carrots, chopped
- 1 lg garlic clove, minced
- 1 lg shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp light cream
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 pkg ready made pie crust
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cubed chicken pieces in a large Ziploc bag and add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Close the bag and massage until all the chicken is well coated in the dry spices. Let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a high sided sauce pan over medium high heat. Open the Ziploc bag and sprinkle in about 1/2 tablespoon of the flour into the bag. Close and shake the bag to coat the chicken pieces in the flour. After the chicken pieces are coated, cook them until they have a nice light brown crust on the outside, about 6-7 minutes. The chicken will not be cooked all the way through and that is ok! We are going to finish them off in the oven. Scoop out the chicken and set aside.
- Keeping the heat on, add the other tablespoon of olive oil and cook the carrots, celery, garlic, and shallot for about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and deglaze the pan with the white wine. Scrap up the bits from the bottom of the pan and reduce the wine by half. Add in the remaining tablespoon and a half of flour and stir to cook out. About 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken stock stirring constantly until the sauce starts to thicken. It should happen pretty quickly. Add in the peas and corn and stir and let simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken back in and stir to combine. Lastly, stir in the light cream and freshly chopped dill.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 4 oven safe individual sized soup crocks. Roll out the pre-made pie crusts and cut out 4 large circles that overlap slightly when placed on the top of the crock. Tuck and pinch the crust all the way around the edge and with a sharp pairing knife, poke 2 slits in the top of each crock. Gently beat one egg and brush the egg wash on the top of each chicken pot pie.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes until the crust is a dark golden brown. Serve immediately.