Pesto Chicken With Bruschetta
This Easy Pesto Chicken with Bruschetta is the perfect recipe for a weeknight meal that both kids and adults will love. Baked chicken breast, pesto, and fresh tomato bruschetta come together in an Italian-inspired dish that is healthy and delicious. You can use store-bought pesto or make your own for this recipe. Make the fresh tomato bruschetta first so it has time to marinate while you make the pesto and bake the chicken. This entire dish will come together in an hour for a fresh and healthy chicken dinner. Leftover bruschetta? Serve it on toasted bread for a delicious snack!
Pesto Chicken with Bruschetta
Chicken and Pesto with bruschetta on top
Fresh Bruschetta Ingredients
Pesto Chicken With Bruschetta
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves
- ¼ cup pine nuts, walnuts or almonds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp basil, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 4 tsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Place the basil leaves, garlic, and nuts in the food processor or blender and mix until finely minced. Slowly drizzle the olive oil in as the processor still going until smooth. Add the cheese and mix in completely. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also use store-bought pesto.
- Mince 2-3 garlic cloves and set aside. In a pan over medium-low heat, add 4 tbsp olive oil and allow the oil the heat up. Add the minced garlic cloves and cook quickly for about 1-2 minutes, just until you can smell the garlic and it becomes lightly browned. Don't burn it or it will be bitter. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While the garlic and oil are cooling, dice the tomatoes and slice up the basil into thin pieces. Place the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes into the bowl and toss together. Add the garlic and oil from skillet and toss to combine. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes to allow all of the flavors to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray your baking dish with non-stick spray. Make sure the chicken breasts are fully thawed (if using frozen) and are all about the same size for even baking. Dry the chicken with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Brush about 1 tbsp of pesto sauce on top of each chicken breast. There is no need to get both sides, just the top.
- Place the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the top with the shredded parmesan cheese and bake for 5 more minutes. Always check chicken with a themometer, the chicken needs to be at 165° to be fully cooked.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and allow the chicken to cool slightly before serving. Place each chicken breast on a plate and spoon on a generous amount of the bruschetta. Enjoy!