Mediterranean Chicken Bake
1 hr 15 min
This Mediterranean-inspired chicken bake is easy to make and is infused with some classic flavours of garlic, lemon, oregano, cumin, coriander, and paprika.
It's a perfect mid-week dinner idea that requires minimal kitchen clean up as all you have to do really is "throw it all in a pan" put in the oven.
You can choose to marinate the chicken overnight or a few hours before cooking.
This is definitely a go-to recipe for me as it ticks off several boxes for mid-week cooking:
- It can be a complete meal if you want it to, no need to bother with making "sides"
- The prep is low effort
- Ingredients are simple and easy to find
- It's easy to make a large batch so it's perfect for feeding a family, leftovers, or a dinner party!
If you want to add a side dish, a really nice complimentary one is couscous. I opted for large pearl couscous seasoned with a bit of turmeric for this dinner.
You can find my recipe on Instagram here
Mediterranean Chicken Bake
Ingredients for the marinade
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced as finely as possible
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the bake
- 8 skin on chicken thighs
- 2 cups small potatoes cut into about 3" wide pieces
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 - 2 carrots, chopped
- 1.5 cups of cherry or grape tomatoes, whole
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh oregano for garnishs (optional)
Marinate the Chicken
- Pat and dry chicken and add it to a deep bowl with all the marinade ingredients. Ensure that the chicken is coated well. You can marinate overnight in the fridge or for a few hours before cooking.
Making the Chicken Bake
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a bowl, mix the chicken broth with the tomato paste and set aside.
- Place potatoes, onion, and carrots in a deep baking pan.
- Place the the marinated chicken on top on the of the veggies skin side up, and then pour the chicken stock/tomato paste mixture in.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven
- Add the cherry tomatoes, drizzle the chicken skin with a bit of olive oil, season with some more salt and pepper and do a bit of basting with the juices from the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and put it back in the oven and bake for another 30 - 35 min until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove cover and broil on high for about 3-5 minutes to get the skin extra crispy.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published October 28th, 2020 12:47 PM
Can it be made with skinless chicken breast?