On your table in 30 minutes! This creamy and mild curry will delight the whole family. It might surprise you to discover just how easy butter chicken is to make. The secret to this dish is the flavoursome sauce. The combination of butter, tomato sauce, spices and cream, create a dish with incredible flavour. If that’s not enough, further impress everyone by making your own naan breads or rotis to mop up the rich and aromatic sauce. I normally add some dhal rice too.
It's the perfect weeknight meal. Quick to make and delicious to eat. If you still haven't made butter chicken, go on, give it a try. It's absolutely worth it!
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) cooking oil
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) butter
- 2 large onions, finely diced
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) mustard seeds (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) ginger, minced
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, skinless and cubed
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) tomato paste
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) garam masala
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) cumin
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) red leaf masala
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 125 ml (½ cup) plain yoghurt
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium non-stick pot on medium to high heat.
- Add the onions and mustard seeds, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- The onions should be soft and a light golden colour, and the mustard seeds should start popping.
- Now add the garlic and ginger, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the chicken, tomato paste, spices and sugar.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then add the yoghurt and coconut milk, and season with the salt to taste.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Turn down the heat and serve warm.
- You can replace the yoghurt and coconut milk with fresh cream. I often use any of these three depending on what’s available in my refrigerator.
- With more time on your hands, you can marinate the chicken overnight in the spices and yoghurt.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published February 24th, 2021 5:43 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
6 of 7 comments
Can’t wait to try this. Thanks from perrysburg Ohio.
Can you tell me what Red Leaf Masala is and what could be a substitute for it