Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry
This Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry is an effortless indulgence. Its so ridiculously easy to prepare and the final result is so impressive! It’s a definite show stopper for sure.
I don’t consider myself a baker or pastry chef and when it comes to dessert I go for easy and sinfully delicious. There’s nothing more indulgent than chocolate and using store bought puff pastry sheets and raspberry preserves makes this dessert incredibly effortless.
Puff pastry is an incredibly decadent dough and a definite labor of love. Copious amounts of butter is worked into the dough, constantly rolling it out and folding it over unto itself, creating these gorgeous buttery, flaky layers. Its delicious and amazing but I don’t have time for that so off to the store I go. Store bought puff pastry is more than ok to use and don’t let anyone tell you different!
Now let’s talk about the chocolate and preserves. Use good quality chocolate and preserves. Good quality ingredients always yield the best results. Dark Chocolate is my fave, especially because I used raspberry preserves. Milk chocolate works too. As long as the bar is between 3.5 – 4.4 ounces, you’re good to go. The preserves can be any fruit and it can be homemade or store bought. Homemade is easy if you’re up for it. I have a great recipe for Blueberry Compote, sub in any fruit you like, fresh or frozen. But like I said, store bought is more than ok 🙂
The only possible daunting thing about this Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry might be braiding the dough. I hesitate to say daunting, cuz its really not. All you have to do is cut slits in the dough on either side of the chocolate bar and overlap them like shoe laces. If by the time you get to the end, there’s some dough left over, cut that sucker off. Don’t go crazy trying to be perfect, It’ll still come out beautiful. Besides that’s what the powder sugar is for.. to cover up the imperfections lol .
A simple egg wash is the last step before going in the oven. The egg wash gives it a nice golden color plus it helps to seal the edges. After your beautiful creation comes out the oven. let it cool. This is by far the hardest step for me. I have burnt the crap out of my mouth before because I’m so impatient lol… this sucker is hot, don’t be me and just let it cool. A final dusting of powdered sugar and you’re done! Fancy it upon with scattered fruit and serve with whipped cream or ice cream .. I of course went the ice cream route, chocolate of course 😉
Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 3.4 - 4.4 oz chocolate bar.. any chocolate bar
- raspberry preserves
- egg wash - 1 egg whisked with about 1 tsp of water
- powdered sugar
- whipped cream or ice cream for serving, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Break off a piece of parchment big enough to lay your puff pastry but not bigger than your sheet pan, doesn't have to be perfect, and sprinkle some flour over it. Lay your puff pastry sheet on top and unfold it if the puff pastry sheet is frozen, thaw at room temp for up to 40 minutes on the parchment paper, no need to unfold it, unfold when thawed
- Lay your chocolate bar in the middle of the sheet, vertically.
- Spread a couple tablespoons of the preserves on top of the chocolate bar.
- Make horizontal slits on both sides of the chocolate bar , going down the entire length of the bar, these are the dough flaps that we will be braiding over the chocolate and preserves.
- To braid, fold the flaps diagonally over the chocolate. it doesn't have to be perfect, if there's an extra flap at the bottom just cut the excess off.
- Transfer the braid to the sheet pan, parchement paper and all.
- Brush the braid with the egg wash, cover every nook and cranny.
- Transfer the sheet pan into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until its golden brown.
- Let it cool and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- will need, sheet pan, parchment paper and pastry brush
Yum! Always looking for simple dessert recipes.
This sounds so yummy!!! Perfect for a quick dessert. I always have these ingredients on hand.