Sourdough Discard Chunky Granola
This recipe is not for those who don’t have a sourdough starter. If that’s you, and you’re interested in learning how to make a sourdough starter, I recommend searching Maurizio from The Perfect Loaf. He is the one who I learned from when I made my first successful starter years ago. His instructions are great and easy to follow.
I haven’t tried making this recipe without using the starter but I do have a yummy stove top granola that doesn’t require a sourdough starter (Search Stove Top Granola with Orange Zest) and its super easy to make. With that being said, if you’ve ever wondered about making a starter, I highly recommend that you try it because there are so many yummy recipes you can make with the discard that are also very gut friendly.
This recipe calls for a 2 to 4 hour preferment prior to adding all the ingredients and baking. The dried fruit, nuts and add-ins such as chopped apricots, raisins, unsweetened coconut, dried cherries, dried figs, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds can always be substituted depending on what’s in your pantry. I’ve used various types of nuts, fruits and seeds. In the recipe list of ingredients I only listed them as general ingredients such as dried fruit and nuts, so you can use what ever you prefer and like. The wonderful thing about making your own granola is that you can customize it according to your favorite ingredients on hand.
This granola comes together nicely to form chunky clusters some crunchy and others chewy. The spices can also change according to what you have on hand. At times I’ve used pumpkin spice alone and in this recipe I added dried fennel, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, it was so flavorful.
Note: I’ve made this recipe without fermenting when I’m in a hurry. I simply combined all the ingredients
If you’d like to see more of what I love to do please visit me on IG at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/
Sourdough Discard Chunky Granola
- 300 gms sourdough starter that was fed at least 24 hrs prior
- 90 gms water
- 150 gms raw honey (separate 60 gms)
- 90 gms gluten free flour or almond flour
- 500 gms gluten free rolled oats
- 200 gms unsalted mixed chopped nuts
- 180 gms unsalted mixed seeds (ie. pumpkin seeds, flax seeds...)
- 50 gms coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 - 2 tsp pumpkin spice or a combination of spices such as fennel, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit
- Combine the sourdough starter, 90 gms of honey, the water and mix well then allow to ferment covered at room temperature for about 2 to 4 hours.
- In a separate bowl combine the rest of the ingredients including the 60 gms of honey you separated.
- After the 2 to 4 hours of fermenting, add the starter mixture to the 60 gms of honey and rest of the ingredients, except for the add-ins such as the dried chopped fruit and seeds. Using your hands or a spatula, combine all ingredients and mix well until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture onto a parchment lined 13 x 18 baking pan, pressing firmly to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 300° Fahrenheit oven for approximately 30 minutes then carefully remove the pan from the oven and break granola into clusters then return to the oven for another 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and this point you can continue to break granola into smaller pieces or transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the dried ingredients (chopped fruit and seeds). Allow to completely cool before storing in an airtight container. Enjoy!