Ultimate Chex Mix
'Tis the season for Chex mix!
This crunchy seasoned party mix debuted in 1952 and has been a holiday staple ever since.
If you’ve ever found yourself picking over a bowl of Chex mix and secretly taking just the pieces you like, why not make a custom blend just for you, with all of your favorite flavors?
I recently made a batch with these tasty ingredients:
- Corn Chex™ cereal
- Wheat Chex™ cereal
- Bugles™ snacks, broken in half
- Pretzels sticks, which I (somewhat neurotically) broke in thirds
- Potato sticks
- Roasted pistachio nuts
If you break up the larger ingredients (as.I did with the pretzel sticks and Bugles) you'll make a mix with more balanced flavors.
Savory Chex Mix Recipe Crunchy Add-Ins
To customize a mix, get creative! In addition to the classic ingredients, here are some new additions you may wish to try:
- Crispy Chow Mein noodles
- Goldfish crackers
- French’s fried onions
- Broken tortilla chips
- Oyster crackers
- Pretzel nuggets
- Cheese crackers
- Waffle potato chip pieces
- Gardetto’s Garlic Rye chips
- Bagel chip pieces
- Sesame sticks
- Pita chip pieces
- Crispix™ cereal
- Crumbled cooked, drained bacon (just store in the refrigerator if you add bacon!)
Nutty Chex Mix Add-Ins
- Roasted almonds
- Roasted pecans
- Dry roasted peanuts
- Hulled roasted pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas)
- Roasted cashews
- Honey roasted peanuts
- Macadamia nuts
Would you like to make a batch of crispy, delicious snack mix? Here’s the easy, customizable recipe:
Ultimate Chex Mix
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 1/2 cups broken Bugles™
- 1 1/2 cups potato sticks
- 1 cup pretzels sticks, broken in thirds
- 1 cup salted shelled roasted pistachio nuts
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Melt butter in large roasting pan in oven. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder until blended and spread on the bottom of the pan.
- Scatter the Corn and Wheat Chex, Bugles, potato sticks, pretzel sticks and pistachio nuts evenly and stir with a large spoon until well coated.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Cool completely before storing in a sealed container.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite crunchy nuts, snacks, chips and cereals! Just keep your total to 12 cups. Break up any large chips or pretzels if you like. Keeping the ingredients about the same size will make the overall flavors more balanced.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!