When life gives you lemons make lemon rice. It is one rice dish I can never say no to. It is so delicious and comforting that I always end up eating more than my appetite.
Lemon rice is a South Indian cuisine but is quite popular all over India. It is quick, simple and easy to make. Best part is my little one loves lemon flavoured things, so he eats it happily.
If you are cooking for your kid, make sure you don’t add chillies. I also remove peanuts when I am serving it to my little one.
Here is my lemon rice recipe. Apart from lemon juice I also add a tablespoon of lemon zest to give that extra lemony flavour.
Who wants some lemon rice?
Looks so delicious.
Turn off the stove before you add lemon juice and zest.
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 tbs oil
- 3 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 green chillies or jalapeños chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1-2 whole red chillies
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds crackle, add whole red chillies.
- Once they change colour, add green chillies, curry leaves, salt, asafoetida, turmeric and roasted peanuts and stir.
- Turn off the stove and add lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Stir in cooked rice and mix well.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and mix.
- Lemon rice is ready. Serve with pickles or yogurt.
- If you like curry leaves you can add it too.
- If you don't have asafoetida, you can skip it.
- Use chillies as per your preference. If you want it mild you can skip it too.