Spicy Vodka Pasta (Gigi Hadid Recipe)
Spicy vodka pasta is made in a rich and creamy tomato sauce that includes red chili flakes, diced shallot, garlic, and tomato paste. This spicy vodka pasta sauce is true perfection!
Gigi Hadid Pasta Story
Gigi Hadid is an American supermodel who posted a video on her Insta story and TikTok while preparing spicy vodka pasta. She was expecting her daughter at the time and was craving delicious Penne alla vodka. However, her version was without the vodka, but she specifies the point where vodka would go in the recipe.
This was one of the biggest viral recipes in 2020. Since everyone was trying this simple recipe, it became famous as Pasta Alla Vodka. This Gigi Hadid pasta recipe has minimal ingredients and is simple to cook. The best part: it tastes like something you order in a fancy restaurant and will satisfy your cravings.
Spicy Vodka Pasta Variations
The spicy vodka recipe can be tailored to your taste because there are so many variations of this Gigi Hadid spicy vodka recipe.
The original video of Gigi Hadid’s pasta recipe didn’t include vodka. She was pregnant at the time and decided to forgo vodka for safety reasons, even though it is considered to be safe when cooked thoroughly.
If you do not want to add vodka to the pasta, then there are a couple of healthy options that would provide the same flavor, including apple cider vinegar, white grape juice blended with lime juice, etc. You can omit the vodka because it gives the dish an acidic taste, especially since tomatoes are included.
The supermodel provided a heavenly recipe for people to devour. However, with ingredients like butter, parmesan cheese, and heavy cream, this Vodka cream sauce is not even slightly vegan. If you prefer vegan meals, then there are a few simple swaps you will need to make. These changes will not only keep the original recipe’s flavor but will also help you serve a healthier version.
- You will need to sauté the red onion and garlic in water rather than using olive oil.
- As a substitute for cream, use a combination of unsweetened almond milk and coconut milk for added creaminess.
- Nutritional yeast can be utilized to op your pasta instead of parmesan cheese. It will give your meal the best cheesy flavor.
It is obvious that some of these ingredients are not healthy such as the white pasta, butter, cream, and excessive olive oil. As a variation, if you want to make a healthier version, you can use the following:
- Do not use butter
- Reduce the amount of olive oil to 2 spoons which will be enough to sauté garlic and red onion
- You can use half and half instead of heavy cream.
- Switch to low-carb pasta or opt for whole wheat pasta.
- Omit the vodka
- Be mindful of the salt quantity in the pasta
Spicy vodka pasta tastes great as is. However, if you want to add some flavor complexity consider adding sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, or shrimp. Actually, all three additions would taste great together!
Romantic Date Night
I first heard of vodka pasta when Rachel Ray coined the term "Never Be Single Again Pasta". I have to admit, both Rachel Ray and Gigi Hadid's pasta are the perfect romantic main dish. Make it into a whole romantic meal by adding:
- Salad: A leafy green salad is a perfect addition to your date night. Try my strawberry, apricot and pistachio salad, it is the perfect complment to pasta!
- Garlic Bread Rolls/Flatbread: Why would you want to waste this delicious Vodka cream sauce? Crusty garlic bread or my pear, grape and blue cheese foccica is a knock-your-socks-off romantic dinner winner!
- Vegetables: some of the best choices for veggies are air-fried asparagus or sautéed Brussel sprouts. These veggies will just top up the flavor and make it a filling meal
Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe Tips
Gigi gave us all the perfect comfort food which will tantalize your taste buds. If you want to make the spicy vodka pasta sauce with perfection every time, follow the tips below:
- Cooking pasta: While boiling the pasta, you have to be careful. Overcooking it will make it soggy which ruins the entire dish. However, if you want a higher amount of starch then add less water while boiling it. Spicy vodka pasta is best cooked in less water because it allows your sauce to become thicker. While using water, you will need to season the pasta with salt beforehand.
- Sensitive to spice: The recipe is known as spicy vodka pasta for a good reason. However, if you are sensitive to spice, then leave out the addition of red pepper flakes. Even though the taste of the Penne alla vodka wouldn’t be different but if you can handle a little bit of heat, then we suggest you add a little bit of spice. It will be a delight.
- Alternatives for butter: Gigi Hadid's spicy vodka recipe is delicious as it is but if you are looking for healthier options, then add fresh coconut and organic coconut butter. Using the butter helps in combining the sauce with all the ingredients. Moreover, it gives your vodka cream sauce a glossy sheen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gigi Hadid Pasta Spicy?The Gigi Hadid pasta sauce doesn’t have an overly spicy taste. Rather it can be described as a mellow, warming flavor that has a little bit of heat. Adding red pepper flakes gives it that heat that Gigi was craving. If you like your pasta to be mildly spicy, then you can reduce the number of red pepper flakes.
What Protein Can I Add?The best options to balance the heavy cream in Gigi Hadid pasta are shrimp, salmon, scallops, and grilled chicken breast.
Can I Make This Spicy Vodka Sauce With Milk?Even though the best choices are heavy cream and half-and-half but you can use whole milk. Cream tends to make the sauce thicker and creamier which is the essence of the pasta sauce. However, if you want then use whole milk available at home. You will need to adjust the quantity of the ingredients, add a smaller amount of milk, and let it reduce for longer to get a similar consistency.
What Pasta Does Gigi Hadid Use?In Gigi Hadid's original recipe, she used the orecchiette pasta that looks like little ears. Sometimes, people tend to confuse it with pasta shells which is why a lot of variations on the internet. Other shapes of pasta that work great with this recipe include bow ties and penne pasta.
Can Kids Have Vodka Sauce?Kids can have vodka sauce if it is cooked properly. Experts suggest that the traditional vodka sauce recipes only use a tiny amount of alcohol that it generally evaporates in the cooking process. Therefore, many pediatricians claim that vodka sauce for pasta should be safe for children
Storing and Reheating
After trying this bowl of amazingness, there is no doubt that you will be making a big batch of Penne Alla Vodka and eating it again.
Refrigerator Instructions: If you have leftover pasta, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days (if it lasts that long).
Reheat Instructions: Use a small-medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the pasta and put a splash of milk or cream to freshen it up. Stir till the pasta is heated and enjoy!
Did you make this? Leave a comment below or take a picture and tag me on Facebook.
Spicy Vodka Pasta (Gigi Hadid Recipe)
- ▢ 16 ounces pasta shells
- ▢ 1 tablespoon butter
- ▢ 1/4 cup olive oil
- ▢ 1 small shallot, diced
- ▢ 1 small garlic clove, diced
- ▢ 1/4 cup tomato paste
- ▢ 1/2 cup heavy cream
- ▢ 1 tablespoon vodka
- ▢ 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ▢ 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- ▢ salt and pepper to taste
- ▢ basil, chopped
- Pasta: Cook desired pasta shape according to the directions. Once the pasta has cooked, save ½ of the pasta water and set it aside. Drain the water. Add butter to the same pasta pot, and stir the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the pasta. 16 ounces pasta shells, 1 tablespoon butter
- Saute: In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil until it begins to shimmer. Add the shallot and cook for two minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one additional minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for two more minutes.¼ cup olive oil, 1 small garlic clove, diced, 1 small shallot, diced, ¼ cup tomato paste
- Sauce: Reduce heat to low and add heavy cream, vodka, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for five minutes. Remove from heat and add pasta water, pasta, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. ½ cup heavy cream, 1 tablespoon vodka, 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Top with parmesan cheese and basil as desired.basil, chopped
- Alternatives: See blog post on how to make this recipe vegan or without vodka
- Refrigerator Storing Instructions: If you have leftover pasta, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days (if it lasts that long).
- Reheat Instructions: Use a small-medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the pasta and put a splash of milk or cream to freshen it up. Stir till the pasta is heated and enjoy!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!