Slow Cooker Lasagna
4 hr 20 min
I’ve been making the same lasagna recipe for longer than I’d like to admit.
Like I always say, don’t fix what doesn’t need fixing. And if I went by what my family and friends say, nothing about my delicious lasagna recipe needed fixing.
But several years ago, I did make ONE big change to my original lasagna recipe.
I decided to try making a slow cooker version.
My hope was that I could still get all the amazing flavor that my low and slow simmered meat sauce had, but do it without hovering over the stove for an hour or more.
So, after a few tweaks, I came up with a yummy new version of my homemade lasagna!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh basil can use dried if need be
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 lasagna noodles uncooked
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Add the butter and oil to a large fry pan. When hot add in the onion. Saute until translucent. (About 3-4 minutes). Add in the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Remove from the stove and set the onion and garlic aside. Add the beef and Italian sausage to the pan. Saute both until browned. Add the onion and garlic back into the pan. Add in the tomato paste, diced and crushed tomatoes, herbs, and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Simmer on low heat while you make up the cheese sauce.
- Combine the ricotta, parmesan, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add in the parsley.
- Grease a 6-quart slow cooker with butter or non-stick spray. TIP: You can also use a slow cooker liner for easy cleanup!
- Begin assembling the lasagna. First, add in 1/3 of the meat sauce. Then top the meat sauce with uncooked noodles. (About 3-4) (You may have to break to fit in the slow cooker.) Top noodles with 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with more parsley and fresh basil.
- Turn the slow cooker to low and cook lasagna for 4 hours. ***For crispier top remove the slow cooker's cover 30 minutes before done. Place a piece of paper towel over the top and continue cooking. Allow the lasagna to sit for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published October 6th, 2021 12:17 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!
Load more comments
15 of 53 comments
Looks Delicious. Awesome recipe. I was wondering for people like me that has less time can you used already prepared spaghetti sauce? I think there has to be water added to it. Can anyone help with this? Thank you.
is whole sausage used or how is it used? Out of casing?