I have been absolutely obsessed with barley lately! It is one of my favorite grains because it is hearty, nutty, has a great texture, and it can be a healthier substitute to rice or pasta. In this recipe I combine barley with creamy goat cheese, sautéed leeks, and lemon juice for a rich yet fresh summer dinner!
With minimal ingredients, you can transform boring pot barley into something so spectacular! This dish has been on repeat in my house, served as a main meal or even paired with chicken as a side dish.
I'd love to know if you give it a try! Let me know on my Instagram @tikofoods and check out my page for more yummy meals.
- 1-2 large leeks
- 1 lemon (zested and juiced)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups veggie stock (sub water)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bulb roasted garlic (optional)
- Slice leeks and juice/zest 1 lemon
- Add butter to a pot and melt then add the leeks
- Season with salt and pepper then sauté the leeks
- Add barley to the pot and mix together
- Add 3 cups of veggie stock then bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally for 20 - 30 minutes until tender
- Add lemon juice and zest, roasted garlic, and goat cheese
- Mix together until creamy then garnish with more lemon zest to serve
- For roasted garlic - cut the top off one bulb of garlic then drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and air fry at 400 F for 20 minutes OR roast in oven at 425 F for 30-45 minutes
- Optional add walnuts