Air Fryer Shrimp Toast
My mom always tells me that when I was a child my favorite food was shrimp. It was literally one of the things that I was known for. Whenever I had babysitters, we didn’t play games or read stories; instead, they would cook and feed me shrimp to make me happy. I guess my love for shrimp has also followed me into adulthood. Recently, I have been dreaming up more recipes that can be converted and cooked in the air fryer as a healthier alternative. And, guess what? Shrimp toast is one of those recipes that cook up wonderfully in there. They are not greasy and full of crunchy, crispy shrimp flavor! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Air Fryer Shrimp Toast
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 of an egg white
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 5-6 slices white sandwich bread, preferably milk bread
- Sesame seeds optional
- Cooking spray optional
Making the shrimp paste
- Take the shrimp and process in a food processor or hand chop until a fine paste. Transfer to a small mixing bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients for the shrimp paste.
- Mix well. The paste should be quite thick as shown in the photos.
- The number slices of bread depends on how you want to make your shrimp toast. You can make mini square sandwiches or stick with the traditional triangular shapes. Take your slices of bread, trim off the crusts and then cut into 4 squares for sandwiches or 4 triangles for open face.
- Take your shrimp paste and spread an even amount on your bread. For the mini sandwiches, take another piece of bread and press the shrimp paste between the two pieces of bread. For triangles, spread the shrimp paste all the way to the edge of the bread. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the top.
Air frying shrimp toast
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 350F.
- After preheating, put shrimp toast into the air fryer, leaving room inbetween each piece. For sandwiches, you can also spray the tops with oil before air frying.
- Air fry for about 10-11 minutes, flipping halfway for the sandwiches. There is no need to flip for the triangle shapes.
- They should be golden brown when finished. Serve immediately.
- Shrimp toast would make a great appetizer! You can keep them warm in a low oven sitting on a wire rack to avoid the bread from turning soggy.
Published January 9th, 2021 12:28 AM
What is “milk bread” please? Many thanks.