Southwest Chicken Chili
with corn, black beans, zucchini and lots of flavor!
I made this chili on our recent camping trip to Joshua Tree and it was so good I had to make it into an official recipe. It’s got a lot of veggies, ground chicken and a tasty blend of spices. It’s easy to make ahead or on the spot since it comes together quickly with minimal prep work. Let’s make it!
Disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, which means if you decide to purchase any of the items linked in this post, I should earn a small commission. This creates no additional cost to you and helps support the work that goes into running The Fig Jar. Thank you! -Becky
Southwest Chicken Chili ingredients
- Ground chicken (you can also use ground turkey)
- Canned, diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- Canned, tomato sauce
- Frozen corn
- Bell Pepper
- Canned green chiles
- Chicken broth
- Spices/seasoning: chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Suggested toppings: tortilla chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions
How to make it
This chili is as easy to make at the campsite as it as on your stove at home:
- Just chop your veggies and grate zucchini.
- Cook the ground chicken and set aside.
- Sauté the peppers and onions until soft. Add the green chiles.
- Then in goes everything else.
- Let it bubble and simmer until it’s time to eat!
My favorite chili toppings
To each their own, but I think the perfect toppings for this chili are:
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
- Tortilla chips
Tried this recipe?
You might also like
Hearty Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Spicy Black Bean Soup
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Southwest Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 14 oz cans fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can black or white beans
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 small zucchini grated
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- tortilla chips
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large soup pot or a dutch oven. Add ground chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook just until cooked through. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the pot and add onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until beginning to soften. Add can of diced green chiles. And continue to cook until onion and bell pepper are very soft.
- Add cooked chicken, beans, zucchini, corn, spices, salt and stir. Then add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Stir well. Cover and cook until bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened slightly. About 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Enjoy topped with sour cream, sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.