Half Baked Cookie Dough Puddings
If you want a warm, chocolatey, and irresistibly gooey dessert without the hassle these half baked cookie dough puddings are for you. They just require 10 minutes of simple prep and another 10 minutes in the oven. Stand mixers and electric whisks are not required. After you've enjoyed your warm chocolatey gooey pot of heaven, you'll just be left with a mixing spoon and a couple of bowls to wash up.
Half-baked cookie dough puddings are a great make-ahead dessert. Perfect if you are entertaining and bound to impress your house guests. Just spoon the batter into ramekins, store them in the fridge and bake from chilled. These decadent and simple desserts are guaranteed to be loved by adults and children alike. Definitely, one to try on your next date night, family dinner or gathering.
Key ingredients and possible alternatives
- All-purpose/plain flour - avoid using self-raising flour.
- Unsalted butter - do not substitute it with salted butter, the puddings will be too salty if you do. Melt the butter in the microwave first so it is easy to incorporate with the other ingredients.
- Brown sugar - I often opt for brown sugar over white caster sugar because I enjoy its rich caramel flavour. However, you can substitute it with the same amount of caster sugar.
- Egg - this binds the cookie dough mixture. Use a whole egg if you are making 4 puddings or just 1 yolk if you are making 2. Beat the egg before adding it to the mixture so it is easy to incorporate.
- Sea salt - this adds a pleasant saltiness to the cookie dough puddings, but be careful, you really do only need a tiny pinch.
- Chocolate chips - choose either milk or dark depending on your preference. You can also chop up a chocolate bar into small pieces instead, just make sure you keep the volume the same.
How to make half baked cookie dough puddings
1. Combine the dry and wet ingredients separately
Set your oven to 180C or 300F. Mix the flour, bicarb and salt in a mixing bowl. Then take another mixing bowl and combine the butter and sugar. Then add the egg and vanilla essence.
2. Mix everything together
Add the wet ingredients to the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients and fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide the mixture into ramekins and bake for 10-12 minutes in the middle of your oven. The cookie dough puddings are ready when the tops are set but the middle is still soft when you touch it. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve with your choice of ice cream.
Tools and Equipment
Half baked cookie dough pots are one of the simplest desserts you will ever encounter and only require a few items of basic kitchen equipment.
- 2 mixing bowls - you need one mixing bowl to hold the wet ingredients and another to hold the dry ingredients. Choose a large bowl for the dry ingredients as this bowl will hold all ingredients once the wet ingredients are stirred in.
- Measuring spoons - are very useful for getting precise amounts of ingredients especially when recipes require small amounts.
- Ramekins - the half-baked cookie dough puddings are baked separately so you will need ramekins. You can also use pudding moulds if you do not have ramekins.
Top tips for perfect half-baked cookie dough pots
- Melt the butter first - this makes it easier to incorporate with the other ingredients. 30 seconds to 1 minute in the microwave at high power should do it.
- Check doneness - cookie dough pots are ready when the top is set. The middle should be soft to touch. Be careful not to under or overbake. You want that gooey centre but also want to avoid eating warm raw cookie dough.
- Make extra - the half-baked cookie dough puddings can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and frozen for up to 3 months. It's great to have extra on hand when you want to whip out a quick pud. You can bake the puddings straight from the fridge or from frozen but you will need to add on a few minutes of additional cooking time.
- Serve with ice cream - warm gooey cooking dough and chilled ice cream are a wonderful combination. Spoon a scoop of your favourite ice cream onto the top of your cookie dough pudding before you tuck in.
How long will the half baked cookie dough puddings keep for?You can store the uncooked batter in the fridge for up to 3 days and bake from cold. However, you will need to add a couple of minutes to the cooking time. Baked cookie dough pots will not taste as good after a stint in the refrigerator so it's best to only bake what you plan to eat.
Can you freeze cookie dough puddings?Yes, the raw cookie dough batter can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just divide it into ramekins and cover before placing them into the freezer. You can bake them from frozen, but you will need to add a few minutes to the cooking time.
Is it safe to eat half baked cookie dough?Yes, the batter comes to a high temperature during the cooking process so is no longer considered raw and is perfectly safe to eat.
More speedy sweet treats:
- Easy Banana Caramel Muffins
- Easy Chocolate Fondant Cakes
- Pistachio Date Balls
Half Baked Cookie Dough Puddings
- 40g (or 3 tbsp + 1 tsp) flour
- ¼ tsp bicarb
- Tiny pinch of sea salt
- 40g (or 2 tbsp + 2 tsp) melted unsalted butter
- 40g (or 3 tbsp + 1 tsp) brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp milk or dark chocolate chips
- 80g (or 6 tbsp + 2 tsp) plain or all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp bicarb
- Pinch of sea salt - 1/16 tsp
- 80g (or 5 tbsp + 1 tsp) melted unsalted butter
- 80g (or 6 tbsp + 2 tsp) brown sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 4 tbsp milk or dark chocolate chips
- Set your oven to 180C or 300F.
- Mix the flour, bicarb, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the melted butter and brown sugar then stir in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl containing the flour, bicarb and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the mixture into ramekins.
- Put the ramekins onto a tray and place them into the middle of your oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- The cookie dough puddings are done when the tops are set but the centre should be soft when you poke it.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve with your choice of ice cream (optional)