Nankhatai (Indian Biscuits)
Nankhatai is a melt in mouth, delicious, eggless Indian biscuit or shortbread cookie prepared with flour, ghee, cardamom powder and sugar. There are so many variations of nankhatai and can be made with different combinations of flour. In the earlier days most Indian homes did not have an oven so these were baked in stovetop aluminum ovens & cookers. If you do not have an oven, go ahead and bake these in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom kadai.
In India at every corner you will find a bakery shop but to my knowledge we get best Nankhatai near our house. whenever we had guests visiting our home, this would be our perfect tea time snack. Nobody could stop eating after trying one cookie. So we always used to get them in large numbers.
I have tried my best to recreate my granny's recipe & beautiful old memories spent with her. This recipe is quite easy and requires minimal ingredients. Nevertheless me & my daughter spend some quality time together baking these cookies.
Let's check out the Ingredients & recipe to make this delicious Indian Cookies Nankhatai. If you like the recipe then please comment below, I would love to read your thoughts!!!!
Nankhatai (Indian Biscuits)
- 1 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Gram flour
- 2 Tbsp semolina
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup sugar powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Cardamom powder
- Pista chopped for garnish
- Sieve flour in a bowl, add gram flour, semolina, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder & mix them with a spoon.
- Take 1/2 cup butter and powdered sugar in another bowl.
- Beat them until smooth and soft. Add cardamom powder and beat again.
- Add sieved dry ingredients the wet ingredients. Mix well and make a dough using hand.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C for at least 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 15 equal portions and make round shaped balls from it.
- Line a parchment paper over baking tray.
- Take each ball and press between your palms to give it a round patty like shape and place it over baking tray.
- Top each one with a bit of finely chopped pistachio and press gently with your finger.
- Keep enough space between each cookie because it will expand in size during baking
- Place baking tray in preheated oven and bake it at 180°C for around 15-18 minutes or until cookie starts to turn light golden in color.
- Remove baking tray from oven and transfer cookies over cooling rack
- Once at room temperature, these cookies are ready to enjoy.
- Store it in an airtight container & consume within 2 weeks.
- Do not change the ratio of butter & other ingredients.
- If you are using salted butter, do not add salt with dry ingredients. If you are using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
- f dough is very soft then keep it (covered) in refrigerator for around 15 mins before baking.
- You can use 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour and 1/2 cup maida instead of using 1 cup maida