Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Soft and chewy, studded with raisins and just a touch of extra spice make these homemade Spiced Oatmeal Raisin cookies truly something special.
It’s that time of year when you’re likely attending potlucks, or family gatherings, or cookie exchanges and you need a good, but easy recipe to whip up.
How to Make Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
--Classic cookies with a secret ingredient--
Everyone thinks cookies, especially at Christmas, have to be show-stoppers. But who doesn’t appreciate a good old-fashioned cookie, like Mom or Grandma used to make? Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are a classic, and this recipe bumps them up one notch further by using the traditional cinnamon… and just the tiniest bit of cloves.
You guys, the cloves are a game-changer. They give this cookie just a little something special. They aren’t overpowering, but instead blend nicely with the cinnamon and make these cookies feel extra warm and cozy.
Cloves remind me of Christmas, so even though these are the only oatmeal cookie recipe I bake year-round, they do have that little extra flavor that is reminiscent of the holidays when you bite into one.
Not only are these perfect to take to your holiday gatherings, they make a great gift idea, too! Who wouldn’t love a fresh-baked basket of cookies? Right? And if you do know someone who doesn’t like cookies, well…you might want to rethink your friendship. Kidding. Sort of.
Seriously though, these cookies come together in a snap, make your whole house smell like Christmas, and stay soft and chewy for days if you store them in an airtight container.
They are easily portable for taking to a holiday gathering, they’re great for having around the house to enjoy with your cup of hot cocoa, and if you pop them into one of these cute little holiday tins, they make a special made-with-love gift.
This particular batch happens to be for my dad. He was in the hospital recently, and while there, he kept ordering the oatmeal raisin cookies from the hospital menu and commenting about what good oatmeal cookies my mom used to make for him. ❤️💔
So, he’s getting a big tin of these, because what better way to remind him that even though Mom isn’t here to bake them herself, she’d still want him to have cookies.
Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening butter flavored is best, but regular is fine, too
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves ground
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, butter flavored shortening, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 11 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake. You want them to be chewy. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool on wire baking rack. Store in airtight container.