Easy Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread cookies are such delicious cookies. Very simple ingredients but the flavors are insanely good as if you’re using the fanciest ingredients out there. These cookies are not only delicious but also very easy to make and as a bonus, your house will smell like Christmas wonderland!
I’ll be showing every step you need to know to make sure your Gingerbread Cookies are soft and chewy. I will also show you how to make your own icing, it is super easy!
Use your favorite cookie cutters or even go all out and make your very own gingerbread houses!
As if the taste isn’t enough to convince you to make these homemade Gingerbread cookies, they’re really fun to decorate and can be a great activity to do with your family over the Holidays. Set your creativity free and see all the cool cookie decorations you’ll come up with.
Easy Gingerbread Cookies
For The Cookies
- 5 tbsp Butter, room temperature
- 6 tbsp Brown Sugar
- ⅓ cup Molasses
- 1 pc Egg
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Ginger
- ½ tbsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Cloves
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1⅛ tsp Corn Syrup, light
- 1 tbsp Milk
For the Cookies
- Put the butter, molasses and sugar in a mixing bowl. Using the paddle attachment, cream the ingredients together until it is light in color and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down and add the egg. Mix it until it is fully incorporated.
- Scrape the bowl down again and add remaining dry ingredients. Mix it only until the ingredients are fully combined. Roll the dough into a ball, flatten it out a little and cover it with plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge for about 1hr or in the freezer for 30mins.
- Once the dough is cold and solid, dust the table with flour, unwrap the dough and dust the top of it as well. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough to less than a half inch thickness (see video for visual representation).
- Choose your favorite cookie cutters or even cut out big pieces for a gingerbread house. Cut all the cookies, you can save the scraps and roll them again.
- Pre heat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Place the cookies on a baking tray with parchment paper. Once the oven is pre heated, bake the cookies for 8mins. They will still be soft when they come out of the oven.
- Allow cookies to cool down on a cooling wrack. Once fully cooled, begin to decorate it whatever way you want!
For The Icing
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix it all together until fully combined.
- Once it has a loose paste consistency, place it in a squeeze bottle or piping bag.
- Make sure you cream well the butter, sugar and molasses for soft and chewy cookies.
- Don't over mix the dough once the dry ingredients are in.
- If you want soft cookies, only bake it for 8mins or until the edges start to get darker. Baking time can vary according to the cookies thickness, the thicker the cookie, the longer it will need to bake.