Homemade Recipe for Brownies
This easy recipe for brownies is my favorite! It's a homemade recipe for brownies that is easy enough that I justify whipping these up over the boxed variety.
If you usually make boxed brownies these are going to blow you away. They're just a little more rich and indulgent. They are definitely something that I like to make from scratch.
The great thing about making brownies from scratch is that you can control the ingredients which is important if you have allergies to worry about or if you just like to keep away from added preservatives and such.
What do I need to make brownies from scratch?
This recipe uses flour kosher salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, butter, white granulated sugar, eggs, and pure vanilla extract.
For the supplies portion you will need a mixer, spatula, mixing bowls, an 8×8 glass baking dish, non-stick spray, and some parchment paper or foil to line the pan.
As always, you can find the full amounts and ingredients list at the bottom of this post.
I have found that by lining my baking dish with foil, it’s much easier to remove the brownies when they have cooled. I just pick up the edges of the foil and lift up the whole thing from the pan.
Then I can cut them easily and there is no pan to wash. I do lightly spray the foil though, so the brownies do not stick.
How to cool brownies fast:
You can always remove them from the pan after 5 or 10 minutes with the foil or parchment lining and place them on a cooling rack. This is a great way to cool brownies fast!
I usually don't like to throw them into the fridge because it can heat up the fridge and make the brownies a little harder so I avoid that method if at all possible.
Homemade Recipe for Brownies
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (if you are using salted butter, omit the salt)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Grease, spray with non-stick cooking spray or butter your 8 x 8 baking dish and set aside. If you prefer to line your dish with parchment paper or foil, that is fine too. Set aside.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and cocoa powder, and set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter for approximately 3 minutes.
- Then add in the white granulated sugar and continue creaming together for an additional two minutes.
- Add in one egg at a time and mix thoroughly after each egg.
- Then add in the pure vanilla extract. Turn the mixer off and add in half of the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer back on low and combine the ingredients. Turn the mixer back off and add in the remaining ingredients and turn it back on low and continue combining, being sure not to over mix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out making sure it’s level.
- Place into the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- At the 30-minute mark, check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If nothing comes out on the toothpick, then they are done.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the brownies from the pan, cut, serve, and enjoy.