A few years back our family decided enough with the shopping for Christmas gifts, and decided instead to have a 'homemade/handmade' Christmas. It was a lot of fun coming up with ideas for gifts that everyone would enjoy and that definitely came from the heart. One of the gifts I made for several 'adult' members of our family was this Homemade Kahlua. It's a special treat around for around the holidays but if you've ever bough it you know it can get quite spendy! Making it actually wasn't that costly, and ended up being pretty easy too! It does require a bit of time to age though, you might want to make a batch soon!
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 4 cups white sugar
- 4 cups vodka
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- Combine coffee and sugar in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Stir in vodka and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into sterilized glass containers.
- Serve over ice.
- **NOTE Kahlua gets better the longer it sits. I recommend waiting to drink for at least 1 week.