Healthy Vegan "Chicken" Tortilla Soup
Here's a recipe for a hearty and healthy Vegan Tortilla Soup that uses shredded Jackfruit in place of shredded chicken. It’s quick and easy to make and packed with flavor.
Are you familiar with Jackfruit yet? If you’re vegan or enjoy meat free meals occasionally, I suggest you get familiar ASAP! Jackfruit is a versatile fruit native to India. When ripe its sweet and sticky, but unripe it’s neutral in flavor and will take on any flavor you season it with. Ever seen vegan pulled pork on a menu? That’s Jackfruit! Vegans love unripe Jackfruit because you can season it any way you wish and shred it to resemble pulled pork or in this case shredded chicken. It’s texture is thick, soft and juicy, making it hearty and satisfying.
In this recipe, I’ve added black beans for protein and chopped kale for additional fiber…and because you can never eat too many leafy greens. This soup also freezes well, so make a big batch and freeze it to have on hand for any night of the week.
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 15 Minutes|Total time: 25 Minutes
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once warm, add the onions and a pinch of sea salt. saute for 2 - 3 minutes, or until the onions start to get soft and fragrant.
- Next add the Jackfruit, cumin, chili powder, and remaining sea salt. Give everything a good stir and saute for about 2 minutes more. Add the salsa, frozen corn and black beans and stir to combine.
- Finally add the vegetable broth and cover with a fitted lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chopped kale and simmer 2 - 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the green onions and taste for seasoning.
- To serve top with sliced avocado and serve with organic corn chips.
- * I like Trader Joe's Brand or Nature's Charm. ** I use Trader Joe's Double Roasted Salsa. *** I prefer Lacinato kale, but any variety will work.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go