With the weather getting colder and the nonstop chilly days, having soup for lunch or dinner seems like a must. I usually have soup at least 2 or 3 times a week, either as the main course or as a side for dinner. One of my favorites, along with clam chowder and tomato soup, is this spicy Tuscan soup. I discovered this soup years ago at Olive Garden and never turned back. The combination of the creamy broth with sausage crumbles, greens, and beans just works so well together. Here is my version with spicy sausage, tender kale, creamy potato, and cannellini beans.
Spicy Tuscan Soup
5 (1 Review)
- 4 servings
- Prep time: 15 Minutes Cook time: 30 Minutes Total time: 45 min
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick matchsticks
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 14 ounce cannellini beans, with juices
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled sausage and saute until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the chopped red onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the potato, chicken stock, cannellini beans with its juices, and the sausage. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the chopped kale and cook for 2 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!