Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Rich and indulgent Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Cake with a decadent chocolate frosting. Made unsweetened cocoa and sweetened with stevia, this healthy chocolate cake is so flavorful, you won’t even taste the zucchini in there!
Quite a fun experience with the recipe testing on this one. The original version seemed a bit too dry and it’s hard trying multiple versions with you’re just cooking for one. Especially for an 8x8 cake!
So when I wanted to compare 4 versions, I scaled down the recipe, adjusted the ingredients, and baked 2 of each in muffin cups. Labeled each one as well so I wouldn’t forget which was which.
Side note: The winner was regular eggs (not extra) but extra cocoa. Should have seen that second part coming to be honest.
- 16 Pieces
- Prep time: 10 Minutes|Cook time: 30 Minutes|Total time: 40 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.
- Finely shred zucchini using a large-hole grater or food processor. Press between paper towels to remove all excess moisture.
- Transfer zucchini to large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine and uniformly mix flour, cocoa, sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla to zucchini and whisk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and gently fold until combined. DO NOT OVER-MIX or too much gluten will form from the wheat flour, and make the cake dense. Few lumps are okay.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then lift out of pan using parchment lining. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- To make frosting, whisk together ingredients in a bowl - cacao or cocoa powder, milk, coconut oil and sweetener.
- Spread frosting on top of cake, slice and snack!
- Squeeze down the zucchini to remove excess moisture. This prevents the cake from collapsing while it cools.
- Nutritional information and more details are available on my website: https://www.haylskitchen.com/whole-wheat-chocolate-zucchini-cake/
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go