Mixed Vegetable Skillet Pot Pie With Pancake ‘Crust’
Mixed Vegetable Skillet Pot Pie with Pancake ‘Crust’: Tender veggies in a savory, soupy sauce topped with a giant fluffy pancake. An easy meatless alternative to the classic chicken pot pie, but with a brunchy twist.
Comfort food for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
I had actually made this recipe about 2 and half months ago with mushrooms and a funky combination of veggies like broccoli, but the pictures were absolutely terrible. (Kinda why I never bothered posting it.)
That was probably because it was a very on-the-spur-of-the-moment recipe and I was out of the regular pot pie veggies.
But this time when I remembered the recipe last weekend, I was prepared coz I had a bag of Mixed Vegetables stashed away in my freezer. I got it on my “I will be prepared” grocery run back then. They keep for so long - aka no need to worry about “waste” - so I knew I would actually be prepared for whenever.
- 4 Servings
- Prep time: 5 Minutes|Cook time: 40 Minutes|Total time: 45 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a pot or saucepan over medium-high, pour oil and fry onion, asparagus and celery until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk.
- Pour in broth and whisk until flour is dissolved.
- Pour in almond milk and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer on medium-low, about 5 minutes (till it just starts to thicken).
- Add mixed frozen vegetables, stir, and simmer for about 3-4 minutes until mixture is properly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Lightly grease an 8” cast iron or oven-safe skillet with olive oil or cooking spray, and pour filling into skillet
- In a bowl, combine pancake mix, water and egg, and stir gently until just combined. Batter will be thick and lumpy, but don’t over-mix. Some lumps are okay.
- Pour pancake batter over filling, and spread to the edges to cover entirely. Be sure to go till the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pancake is lightly golden-brown.
- To replace frozen mixed vegetables with fresh, cook vegetables 3-4 minutes after adding to pot. Use: ⅔ cup Green Beans, Chopped ⅔ cup Carrots, Chopped (84g) ⅓ cup Corn Kernels ⅓ cup Green Peas, Frozen (48g)
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!Go