Hungarian Stuffed Peppers
Last Updated on January 31, 2021 by
Hungarian Stuffed Wax Peppers
Sajtos Töltött Paprika – Hungarian Stuffed Peppers – Spicy Stuffed Wax Peppers with cheesy goodness makes a great side dish or party appetizer.
Last weekend, I went to the Union Square Greenmarket, NYC’s largest farmers market. Of course, there are a variety of fruits and vegetables available. I was even super excited to find a new Indian vendor that had things like lauki (bottle gourd), karela (bitter melon) and gongura (sorrel).
Now you can try things like this Bengali Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Curry and Gongura Paneer Curry, if you visit the Greenmarket.
However, it was raining peppers and tomatoes. It is definitely pepper season. Every variety of pepper was available and I picked up a bunch of Hungarian wax peppers.
Hungarian Wax Peppers
When most of us think of European cuisines, we don’t think of spicy food. However, Hungary is an exception with their love of hot paprika and wax peppers.
The batch I purchased had 7000 Scoville units, the units used to measure how hot peppers are. This means they are hotter than the average jalapeno.
Hungarians love these peppers and use them in a variety of ways including stuffing and pickling.
Filled with a creamy cheesy filling, the heat is balanced by the cheese in these Sajtos Töltött Paprika – Hungarian Stuffed Peppers. These make a great side dish or party appetizer.
They can also serve as the centerpiece of the meal if it is Serve it with a green salad or egg noodles tossed with butter and parmesan.
See also Easy Layer Cream Cake with Fresh Berries & Custard for National Holidays
Before we get to today’s recipe, let’s check out some other Hungarian recipes I’ve cooked up – all Vegetarian perfect for Meatless Monday!
- Cabbage Paprikash
- Haluska – Cabbage Noodles
HOW TO MAKE Hungarian Stuffed Peppers
The peppers are oozing with cheesy goodness and yet the peppers remain so juicy.
The juices burst out as you bite into the peppers.
See also Pumpkin Coconut Flour Tea Cake
NEED MORE INSPIRATION? CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX WITH OVER 1500 WORLD FOOD RECIPES!
Hungarian Stuffed Peppers
- 10 Hungarian Wax peppers
- 1 cup farmers cheese or Ricotta
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet/cookie sheet with non stick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Make a slit along each pepper, leaving both the head and tail intact.
- By hand, remove the seeds and rinse out the inside of the pepper.
- To make the filling, combine farmer’s cheese, Pecorino, eggs, salt, parsley and garlic in a bowl.
- Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Stuff each pepper with the filling.
- Place the stuffed peppers on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the peppers.
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and peppers have started to brown.