Bang Bang Tofu
What is crispy, saucy, creamy, and SO freaking delicious? Three words: Bang. Bang. Tofu.
This bang bang tofu is a delicious plant-based take on Bonefish Grill’s famous “Bang Bang Shrimp” dish! It is tasty, flavorful, and so easy!
Use this recipe as a perfect appetizer for thanksgiving, on top of a salad for a main dish, or even make this to convince your vegan-skeptic friends!
If you have an air fryer, I would definitely suggest using it in this recipe to get the tofu extra crispy. My version does fry the tofu. However, baking is always an option to lighten it up!
Bang Bang Tofu
- 1 cup Vegan mayonnaise
- 1 Block extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- Salt & pepper
- Green onions
- First, cut your tofu into 1-inch cubes and press the excess liquid out
For the Breading
- Mix together cup vegan mayo and 1 tbsp water. Mix this until you get a texture that is just slightly thicker than heavy cream.
- On a plate or shallow dish, mix together about 1 cup almond flour with 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup AP flour, and your seasonings of choice.
- Dip each cube in the mayo mixture, and then toss in the breading until fully coated.
Fry the tofu
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, such as a cast-iron skillet or a dutch oven, pour about 1/2 inch oil.
- Heat the oil until you can toss a breadcrumb and it'll sizzle, but not so much that it begins to smoke!
- Add your tofu cubes (you may have to do this a few pieces at a time) to the oil, turning the cube to fry each side evenly.
- Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate or baking rack.
For the Bang Bang Sauce
- To a small bowl, add 3/4 cup vegan mayo. Add a bit of salt + pepper (and other seasonings if you choose).
- Add sriracha 1 tbsp at a time, until it reaches your desired level of spiciness!
- Add sauce to the fried tofu, garnish with sliced green onions, and serve hot!