Chili is the best meal if you're having a few friends over for the game (only a few!). You can make your pot of chili the night before, then set it out on game day in a crock pot to keep warm all afternoon. Prepare individual bowls of your favorite chili toppings in advance. Then everyone can choose their own toppings! Start with shredded cheddar of course, then sour cream, fresh jalapeños, scallions, cilantro and avocado. Don't forget to serve lots of tortilla chips with it, or even soft, fresh, flour tortillas for dipping, OR even a hunk of homemade cornbread. This chili has LOTS of beans, and you can control the heat by deciding how much (and what kind) of chili powder to add. Not all are created equal! You can also amp up the spicy even more by adding canned chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce!
Make a chili bar for Gameday this weekend!
Top with spicy jalapeños and habaneros!
Top with sour cream!
Top with cheddar cheese!
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red, green or poblano pepper, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 T chili powder
- 1 T Ancho chili powder
- 2 t cumin, plus 1 t EACH onion powder, garlic powder, coriander, paprika, oregano
- 2 T brown sugar
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 c beef broth, or 1 14.5 oz can
- 30 oz can chili starter
- 3 cans beans, drained and rinsed, such as black, kidney, pinto
- 1 c tomato sauce, puree or passata
- Toppings to make a chili bar: shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeño peppers, fresh tortillas, tortilla chips, lime wedges, hot sauce
- Begin by sautéing meat, onion, pepper and garlic in 1 T olive oil in a large soup pot. Cook until meat is almost fully cooked and fat is cooked off, about 10 minutes.
- Add in all of the spices, brown sugar and tomato paste, and cook a few minutes to fully incorporate the tomato paste.
- Pour in beef broth, chili starter and beans and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer over medium heat about 15 minutes.
- Finally, IF DESIRED, add in the tomato sauce for extra tomato flavor.
- Set up a chili bar station with small bowls of different toppings, and let guests top their own bowls of chili!
- Make ahead then reheat in a crockpot for hands-off serving on the day of the game!