Crisp morning air, a beautiful clear afternoon breeze.... it could only mean one thing. The weather is turning wonderfully "Fall-ish" and I LOVE it! Fall is here. Let the PSL lovers rejoice and the planning of cookie swaps begin.
This weather totally gets me int the mood for some baking, delicious pumpkin bread and apple bundt cakes and of course cooking some comfort food.
In this Chili recipe, I swap out the protein from beef to turkey and add a little earthy smoky spice from cumin to make this Chili both satisfying and healthier. The taste is still rich and flavorful, but with a lot less fat. It's a win win!
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups salsa (mild or medium)
- 28 oz can of plum tomatoes
- 15 oz can of small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can of small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Spice mix:
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Start by making the spice mixture. In a small bowl combine the kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, dried parsley and dried oregano, Work all the herbs and spices together by pinch-mixing with your fingers to really combine them all well. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large heavy bottom pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a flat headed wooden spoon. Cook until all the pink is just cooked out.
- Then add in the tomato paste and combine with the ground turkey until the paste has melted and the ground turkey has a deep red glaze. Sprinkle in the spice mixture and stir well to combine.
- Add in the salsa and can of plum tomatoes and break up the plum tomatoes with a spoon. Then stir in the drained and rinsed small white beans, small red beans and chicken broth. Combine well and turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until all the ingredients come together. Remove lid and add in the freshly squeezed lime juice. Stir and serve.
Want more details about this and other recipes? Check out more here!
Published October 6th, 2021 11:23 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!