This was actually my first pie attempt after mindlessly watching cooking vids. It turned out surprisingly well!
I used a pastry recipe I found online, but to save time I would definitely use the ready made stuff. The only reason I made my own is because I haven't been able to find a ready made pie crust where I live (Guatemala) - I guess because pie isn't a very common dish here.
The filling I just kinda winged based on what was in my fridge and cupboard. Any veggies you have lurking around in the fridge could probably be included here, or you can keep it simple and just use mushrooms.
This is the pastry recipe I used: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/22662/flaky-pie-crust-recipe/
- Pastry - Enough for one 9-inch double crust pie. Use recipe above or roll out a ready made crust.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 red onion
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp tarragon (dried)
- 125g sweetcorn
- 250g sliced mushrooms
- 1 small tub cream cheese (about 250-300g)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced.
- 1 tsp flour
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
For the Filling
- Heat oven to 180°c, and chop the garlic, onion, and parsley.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, then add the garlic, onion and parsley. Cook for a few mins, until soft and fragrant.
- While onion and garlic is cooking, chop chicken into bite sized pieces and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the chicken, sweetcorn and mushrooms to the pan, and sprinkle over the flour. Fry for 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Pour milk over, and heat for a minute. Add the cream cheese and stir until fully combined.
- Add the tarragon and stir through. Let the sauce cook until bubbling, then turn off the heat.
- Fill pie as per instructions below.
For the Crust
- Roll out 2 sheets of pastry, and line the pie dish with one of them. Pre-bake for 5 mins then set aside.
- Slice the other sheet of pastry into 1inch strips using a pizza cutter for even strips.
- Pour the filling into the base, then arrange pastry slices into a weaved pattern on top.
- Brush egg over the top. This is optional, but will make the pie shiny.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, until crust is golden brown.
- When pre-baking the pie base, it's a good idea to stab some holes with a fork to let the air out and prevent air bubbles. You can also use pie weights (I used dried chickpeas).