Chicken Laksa Pot Pie
This recipe came about after a busy day at work when I really didn’t want to spend a long time preparing dinner.
I opened my fridge to see what I can whip together, I saw some chicken mince, carrots, potatoes and a jar of laksa paste. I also noticed some frozen puff pastry in the freezer.
I had made a shortcut chicken curry pot pie before, so I thought Laksa is very similar in flavour to curry, why don’t i make a laksa chicken pot pie?
And it works! This pie is super easy and quick to put together and feels a lot lighter than your typical bowl of laksa noodles.
Laksa, if you don’t know is a spicy noodle soup popular in Southeast Asia. Laksa consists of thick wheat noodles or rice vermicelli with chicken, prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk or on sour asam. It is very delicious.
This of course do not compare to an actual bowl of laksa noodles but it’s good for when you want that rich, coconut, spicy taste but don’t really want that heavy, carb overload afterwards.
You can use whatever vegetables or meat you have in your fridge, the measurements are also quite fluid, please try and adjust seasonings to your taste as different laksa paste have different strengths. You can buy laksa paste at Asian Grocery Stores. I recommend this one
Do let me know if you try it by tagging @dessertsforlunch on instagram.
Chicken Laksa Pot Pie
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g or 1 lb chicken mince
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 potatoes chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 tbsp laksa paste or to taste (every laksa paste has different strength)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Salt, sugar, pepper to taste
- 1 sheet store bought frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg for wash
- Some sesame seeds for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (356F or whatever is closest)
- Leave frozen puff pastry sheet to thaw on the counter while you make pie filling.
- Heat up some oil on a non stick pan, add chopped onions and cook until fragrant
- Add chicken mince and cook until starting to brown
- Add vegetables and coconut milk
- Stir in laksa paste
- Taste and add seasonings to your taste, I added a little sugar for some sweetness but it depends on your laksa paste and how it tastes
- Cook until chicken and vegetables are thoroughly cooked, most liquid has evaporated and the mixture is of desired pie filling consistency.
- Turn off heat and transfer pie filling into a pie dish
- Cover with puff pastry
- Brush with egg wash
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden. I did have to put on grill for a few minutes to get the golden crust, it might be different for your oven.
- You can use any meat or vegetables you want.