Chicken Enchilada Pie
This Chicken Enchilada Pie is the ultimate comfort food and great for sharing with friends. Layers of shredded spicy chicken, separated by flour tortillas and gooey cheese, with jalapeños dotted around for extra zing!
The cheesy, golden pie is then topped with the fresh flavours of tomato, coriander and red onion with this simple pico de gallo recipe.
A simple yet creative twist on a classic Mexican favourite.
A golden Enchilada pie ready to be sliced and shared with friends.
Spicy chicken and stringy cheese oozes out of the centre.
Perfect to cut into slices evenly.
Topped with a fresh pico de gallo salsa.
Chicken Enchilada Pie
For the Enchilada seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
For the Enchilada Pie
- 3 chicken breasts
- 100ml Louisiana hot sauce
- 150g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- Large handful pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil or spray oil
- 300g mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 flour tortillas
For the Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 3 large tomatoes, deseeded & finely chopped
- Large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- First, mix all of the spices for the Enchilada seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts, along with 250ml of hot water in a pressure cooker and cook for 7-8 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked.
- When the chicken is cooked, allow it to rest for 5 minutes to cool slightly, then shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Heat a large saucepan until hot and add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the shredded chicken, along with the Enchilada seasoning and mix well, until the chicken is coated in the spices.
- Leave to simmer over a low heat for 2 minutes until very fragrant.
- Stir in the Louisiana hot sauce and the tinned sweetcorn and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Lightly oil an 8" springform cake tin.
- If your tortillas are larger than the tin, cut them down to the same size as the tin.
- Place one tortilla at the bottom of the tin, then layer half of the chicken mixture on top.
- Sprinkle some jalapeño slices on top, followed by 1/3 of the cheese.
- Press another tortilla down on top of this, then repeat with the same chicken, jalapeño and cheese layers.
- Press the final tortilla down on top and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cover the tin with foil.
- Place the tin in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the foil and continue to bake for another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese on top is golden and the tortillas are lightly crisped.
- In the meantime, mix the ingredients for the pico de gallo salsa together in a small bowl.
- When the pie is ready, leave to cool slightly in the tin for 5 mins, before removing from the tin and slicing into quarters.
- Sprinkle the Pico de Gallo salsa on top.
- If you do not have a pressure cooker, place a litre of hot water in a lidded saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a very low simmer then add the chicken breasts and simmer for 10-12 mins.
Published October 19th, 2020 1:45 AM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!