Spaghetti Carbonara. Luscious and wonderfully indulgent, spaghetti carbonara takes as long to make as it does to cook the pasta.
The ingredients are simple—just spaghetti (or other long pasta), and the carbonara is made with pancetta or bacon, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper.
The silky carbonara sauce is created when the beaten eggs are tossed with the hot pasta and a little fat from the pancetta or bacon.
Did I already mention indulgent? Yes, this is not a make-it-everyday recipe. This is an I’ve-been-eating-my-salad-for-weeks-and-now-I-want-to-splurge recipe.
But heck, if you are going to splurge, you may as well do it right with pasta.
The trick to making a successful carbonara? Stirring the egg mixture quickly into the pasta which should be hot enough to “cook” the egg to make a sauce but not so hot as to make it curdle. Getting carbonara just right can take some practice so don’t despair if your carbonara sauce is a little lumpy the first time you make it.
Indulge in a plate of spaghetti carbonara
Open your mouth wide for a forkful of sheer indulgence
My egg, bacon and cheese mixture awaits the piping hot spaghetti
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Pancetta / bacon: 120 grams
- Eggs: 2
- Spaghetti: 200 grams (enough for 2 servings)
- Pecorino romano / parmesan cheese, grated: 60 grams
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper: To taste
- In a large stockpot, bring the water for the pasta to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, pour the olive oil in a frying pan, and add the bacon. Fry until the bacon is light brown, but still soft.
- In a pasta bowl, large enough to contain the pasta, beat the eggs with a pinch of salt.
- When the water comes to a boil, add salt and cook the pasta following manufacturer’s instructions, testing for readiness from time to time, until al dente (firm but not too soft or overcooked).
- Drain the pasta and drop it immediately into the bowl over the beaten eggs. Mix vigorously. The heat of the boiling pasta will cook the eggs, making them resemble a light cream.
- Add the bacon with its frying fat, the grated cheese, and black pepper.
- Toss thoroughly. Serve at once.
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!