Silky Smooth Keto Oatmeal
Nothing says winter mornings like cozying up with a big, warm, hearty bowl of oatmeal. Amiright?!? But what if that big warm bowl was filled with delicious, low-carb goodness? Yes, you heard me! This oatmeal… or should I say “noatmeal”… is keto-friendly, grain-free and vegan, and ready in just 10 minutes! Plus, it’s packed with nutrient-rich ingredients, such as coconut, hemp hearts and flax!
Once upon a time, I ate oatmeal every morning. Like, every. single. morning. As soon as I woke up.
Once upon a time, I also left for work every morning with a bloated, uncomfortable feeling. Ridiculously enough, it took me a few years before I considered my breakfast routine may be contributing to the problem.
Now, I’m not blaming oatmeal alone for my discomfort, but I can definitely attest to the fact that, for my system, starting the day off with a heaping bowl of carbs just did NOT work (visit my about page to read about my journey back to a happy gut under the ‘How I Got Here’ section).
So, on a quest for low-carb breakfast options, I switched up my routine in the only way I could think- hello, eggs! So many eggs. In every variation imaginable- scrambled, fried, poached, over-easy, sunny-side up, omelettes and whites only. Day-in and day-out, mornings=eggs.
But, every year, winter would descend upon my little Toronto apartment and I would find myself yearning for those warm bowls of cozy comfort I had had to give up. I tried my hand at a few low-carb overnight oats. But they just didn’t “do it” for me.
I wanted something fresh off the stove that left my kitchen smelling like warm vanilla and happiness. I needed something that tasted amazing, was packed with nutrients, and, most of all, was totally bloat-free.
If you’re reading this and thinking, “ then this keto oatmeal recipe is for YOU!
This keto oatmeal is not like the others
After having a few failed attempts and making some adjustments, I finally developed a delicious, keto oatmeal worthy of sharing with you all!
Guys, the consistency of this oatmeal is the thing dreams are made of! Where overnight oats can be a bit lumpy in texture, this oatmeal is velvety smooth and irresistibly creamy. It’s cooked on the stove-top, which adds to its smooth consistency, and mimics a real bowl of porridge…except way better.
And remember that warm, room-encompassing smell of vanilla I was looking for? Well, I found it. Is it just me or is there something incredibly comforting about that scent? Maybe it reminds me of watching my mom bake for the holidays. Waiting for the moment to finally be told I could lick the bowl. Whatever the reason, I am here for this oatmeal and I think you will be too!
Before we get into the recipe though, let’s talk about some of the amazing health benefits this keto oatmeal has! Seriously, these ingredients will leave you feeling like a disease-fighting superhero. And, the best part is, the oatmeal is totally gluten and grain free. That means you shouldn’t experience the awful bloated carb-o-load feeling you may be all too familiar with from traditional oatmeal.
Look at these nutrient-packed ingredients!
- Coconut flour: An amazing flour alternative that is gluten-free, full of healthy fats and high in fibre, which means it won’t spike your sugar-levels the way wheat does. In addition to providing blood sugar stability, coconut flour can improve digestion, heart health and even support weight loss.
- Flax meal: Flax seeds have forever been recognized as a superfood. They contain healthy fats like omega-3s, fibre for blood sugar stabilization, and lots of minerals and vitamins that can help protect against many diseases. Eating ground flax seeds (meal) makes it easier for the body to absorb these nutrients.
- Hemp hearts: These little gems are rich in omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids and are an incredible source of plant-based protein. Much higher, in fact, than chia seeds! Hemp hearts also contain an amino acid called arginine, which can reduce the risk of heart disease!
- Cinnamon: This is one of my favourite spices and definitely a pantry essential in my home. Cinnamon is packed with antioxidants and contains anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces the risk of heart disease and is incredibly effective at stabilizing blood sugar levels- are you noticing a trend here?!
- Coconut milk: Similar to coconut flour, coconut milk contains amazing healthy fats. Specifically, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which have been proven to aide in weight-loss and to promote heart health. My go-to brand is Native Forest.
- Almond milk: An awesome dairy-alternative for those following a vegan diet. Almond milk is low in sugar (buy unsweetened, please!), a great source of calcium, and high in vitamin E, which can combat inflammation in the body.
Any one of these ingredients is an absolute powerhouse on its own, but my keto oatmeal combines them all into one delicious, warm bowl! I told you you’d feel like superheroes!
I used Swerve granular erythritol as my sweetener to keep the recipe low-carb, keto and paleo. Erythritol is my favourite sweetener because it has almost no aftertaste. Feel free to substitute another natural sweetener of choice, or leave it out altogether, if you prefer.
I chose to top my keto oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts because…well, duh. They’re delicious. Anyways. Even though this blueberry pie vibe (a real term) is my go-to, here are a few other low-carb toppings you could try:
- Almond Joy: cacao powder, unsweetened shaved coconut, almonds
- Pumpkin Pie: pumpkin puree and pecans
- PB&J: raspberries and peanut butter drizzle
- Nutella: a glob of my homemade sugar-free Nutella and some pieces of hazelnuts
- Strawberry Shortcake: sliced strawberries, sliced almonds, coconut whipped cream
Do you have other ideas for toppings you think you’ll use or that you’ve already tried? Be sure to comment below and/or share a photo with @thebespokebites on Instagram!
Looking for other Keto Breakfast Ideas?
Here are a few of my favourites:
- Vegan Protein Breakfast by KetoConnect
- Extra Crisp (Top Secret!) Granola by Gnom Gnom
- Keto Chocolate Cereal by All Day I Dream About Food
Recipe Card powered by
You may also like
Silky Smooth Keto Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons golden flax meal
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon Swerve granular (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Add coconut flour, flax meal, hemp hearts, erythritol and cinnamon to a small saucepan and combine well. Add coconut milk, almond milk and vanilla extract and stir well so that no clumps remain.
- Turn stove to medium-high and stir oatmeal until it comes to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer and continue stirring until desired consistency is reached, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn stove off, remove oatmeal from burner and let sit 1-2 minutes. This allows the mixture to thicken!
- Divide between two bowls, top with your favourite toppings and enjoy!