Shrimp wontons wrappers are Similar to dumplings or Japanese gyoza but here they are stuffed with shrimp, vegetables, rice noodles in an exquisite Asian flavors, there is several ways to make them as well as for the stuffing or the way you cook them. The stuffing can be shrimp or ground meat, with vegetables or just mushrooms, the fun thing about the wontons is you can steam, fry of stir fry them. With a sauce or boiling them in a rich soup,
Today I decided to make my wonton wrappers stuffed with shrimp and vegetables. I will stir fry them to have the crunchiness and then glaze them with a flavory sauce.
This recipe doesn’t takes long time to make. it’s a perfect dinner to enjoy when you crave for something different and yet healthy, because stir frying doesn’t need lots of oil. I make this dumplings for my kids and even don’t notice that it’s ful of vegetables and good spices, a way to trick them,
. Shrimp and vegetables Mixture
. Wontons wrappers
. Water to close the wontons.
Wet the edges with water.
Fold in triangles to form a pyramid shape.
press down very well on the edges to secure them, so they don’t open while cooking.
Sautée the wontons.
Glaze the wonton with a little bit of water and soy sauce.
For the filling
- 1/2 pack of Wontons wrappers
- 1 cup uncooked diced shrimp
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup soaked rice noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- Bunch of cilantro
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
The filling mixture
- 1. Sautee the onion and then add the garlic, cabbage, carrots, fresh ginger. 2. Soak the rice noodles in hot water and add it to the mixture.When completely done add the soy and hoisin sauce and let it cool down. I don’t add salt because the soy and hoisin sauces are already salty. 3. When it’s cooled stir in it the egg, corn starch and the chopped cilantro. 4. In a small pan, melt the 1 tbsp of butter and add the diced shrimp. Add it into the Mixture.
Stuffing and cooking the Wontons
- 5. Open the Wonton wrappers and fill one square sheet with 1/2 tsp of the filling. Dump the edges with water and fold in triangle to form a pyramid shape. Continue until finishing the filling. 6. In a nonstick pan, sautée the wontons until golden and then glaze with some water and soy sauce. Serve warm with some fresh cilantro.
- If you like it more fluid, add more water and soy sauce when you glaze it.