Restaurant-style egg biryani using basic everyday ingredients like rice, eggs, yogurt, spices, and masala. Step by Step method for a perfect Egg Biryani.
This recipe has been used by my mother, grandmother and we love sharing with you. I hope you will love it ! The perfect Sunday Lunch at home home and with the left overs it is more yummy next day . Serves best with Raita !
I love to add mint leaves for aromatic flavors
Saffron used for Perfect Color
Egg Biryani is so good with Fried Onions.
Add layers of Rice for perfect mixure of masalas
The biryani is ready to serve now.
For Cooking the Rice
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 5 Cups Water – to make the rice
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Dry Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
Other Biryani Ingredients:
- 4 Medium Red Onion – thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Almonds – optional
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt
- 10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp Rose Water – optional
- Few Strands of Saffron – optional
- 3 Tbsp Milk – to soak the saffron – optional
- 1 Cinnamon Stick – broken into 2-3 pieces
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 Black Cardamom
- 6 Green Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric – optional
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder – optional
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking the Rice: Heat 5 cups water In a large pot. Once the water starts to boil, add rice, salt, bay leaf, and cloves. Stir everything and let this simmer on low-medium heat for 15 minutes. Check rice, it should have cooked 90% hence turn off the heat. Strain the rice of water and keep aside.
- Add mint leaves if you like
Cooking the Eggs:
- Place 6 eggs In a large bowl and sprinkle red chili powder, turmeric, and salt. Coat the eggs with the above spices and keep aside. Add the eggs and saute for 2 minutes on low flames. Once the eggs start to blister and brown on each side, turn off the heat. Remove the eggs and keep aside.
Making the Egg Biryani Recipe:
- In the same Big Pan, heat 3 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp ghee. Add all the crushed whole spices and saute for a minute. Add ginger + garlic paste, all powdered spices and saute on medium heat till they turn golden in color (about 2 minutes). Now add fried onions and saute. Add yogurt, water, and cover cook for another 2 minutes. Now add fried eggs and let everything simmer for 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat. Remove eggs separately in a bowl and remove the cooked masala in a separate bowl.
- In the same Pam, place 2 ladles of cooked rice, sprinkle 2tbsp of cooked masala, add 2 tbsp of fried onions, chopped cilantro+mint, 1 or 2 fried eggs and sprinkle color if using.Layer 2 ladles of rice and follow the process above. Repeat the process till you reach the top of the dish. Now add remaining fried eggs, fried onion, masala and cilantro+mint, 2 tbsp ghee (all remaining ingredients). OPTIONAL: add rose water and saffron soaked in milk. Cover the pressure cooker and let cook for 2 minutes on medium flames. Turn off the heat and wait for 5 minutes. Fluff the biryani using a big fork (scoop and mix the rice and egg layers).
- The biryani is ready to serve now.
- Mint Leaves and Fresh Corianders Sprinkle on top
- Served best with Raita
Published February 16th, 2021 2:01 PM
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!