Seaweed Ice Cream
Today, we're unveiling a secret ingredient that will tickle your taste buds with laughter and delight: Making chocolate ice cream from seaweed!
You might be wondering, "Seaweed in ice cream? Really?"
Oh, absolutely! Seaweed brings a wave of benefits to our frozen concoction. Not only does it infuse our ice cream with an extra subtle flavor, but it also adds a touch of natural umami, making every bite a harmonious symphony of flavors. So, let's dive in!
The legendary clash between the whimsical and the delectable has finally been answered. And thus, chocolate seaweed ice cream was born—a remarkable union between the treasures of the sea and the indulgence of the cocoa bean. We stand witness to this (hopefully) epic saga, and can't help but wonder, will this dessert transform the dessert landscape forever? Prepare to delve into the rich tapestry of flavors and the audacious quest to meld seaweed and ice cream—a chronicle that will leave a delicious mark in the annals of history.
Seaweed Ice Cream
- 2 ½ cups whole milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or non-dairy alternative)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa (extra-dark & unsweetened)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 sheets nori (from 1 [0.6-oz.] package), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
- Step 1: The Wild Whisking Adventure
- In a medium saucepan, let's gather the merry band of ingredients: milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, and a pinch of salt. Whisk them together with gusto until they form a harmonious blend. As the mixture dances over medium heat, keep whisking like there's no tomorrow until the sugar and cocoa dissolve. Now, here comes the hilarious twist—introduce the nori sheets! Cook them for a little while longer, about 7 to 8 minutes, until they're softened and ready to party. Cover the saucepan and take it off the heat, letting it stand for 20 minutes. Strain the milk mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, leaving the solids. But wait! Reserve half a cup of the mixture for a special surprise. The rest shall return to the saucepan, awaiting the next chapter of our adventure.
- Step 2: The Mysterious Meeting of Chocolate and Eggs
- Prepare yourself for an encounter of epic proportions. In a large bowl, lay the bittersweet chocolate, ready to be swept off its feet. In a small bowl, the egg yolks eagerly await their moment in the spotlight. But first, let's slowly stir that half cup of the reserved milk mixture into the yolks, bringing them together in a magical union. Return the saucepan to medium-high heat, for it is time to introduce the egg yolk mixture to the milk. With a slow whisking motion, blend them together until our concoction thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This process may take 12 to 14 minutes, but remember—patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to crafting a hilarious masterpiece. Whatever you do, don't let it boil! Now, remove it from the heat and pour this fantastical mixture over the bittersweet chocolate, whisking away with enthusiasm until they meld into one harmonious entity. Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Partially cover it and send it off to chill in the fridge for a well-deserved 3-hour rest.
- Step 3: The Freezing Finale
- The moment has arrived to transform our creamy creation into frozen bliss. Take the chilled mixture and pour it into the freezer bowl of a 1 1/2-quart electric ice-cream maker. Follow the ice cream maker's instructions for the type of ice cream you want.