Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby
Whether you're treating yourself to breakfast-for-dinner or trying to wow your friends at brunch, this Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby is sure to do the trick!
As delicious as a syrup-coated, chocolate-filled pancake can be, that much sugar can be tough on your stomach first thing in the morning. Instead, when I want to treat myself, I prefer decadent savory breakfast dishes like this Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby. The pancetta is reminiscent of everyone's favorite breakfast staple, bacon, but a bit more elevated. The salt from the pancetta tastes delicious with the cheddar cheese and chives. The heaviness of the dish is rounded out with the spicy arugula. Which, if you add enough in, you can safely convince yourself you're eating a salad!
Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby Ingredients
Dutch baby ingredients - Dutch babies require few ingredients that just happen to be pantry staples. All you need to create this dutch baby is AP flour, whole milk, butter, eggs, salt, pepper, and corn starch
Toppings - this is where you take your dutch baby to the next level! As the name implies, I used cheddar cheese, chives, pancetta and arugula for this savory breakfast.
Instructions for Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. To get the dutch baby to bubble, you need both a hot oven and a hot skillet.
- Cook the pancetta over medium heat on the stove top until crispy. Use the skillet that you are using to bake the dutch baby. Transfer the pancetta to a paper towel to drain the excess oil. Move the skillet to the oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
- While the skillet is preheating, make the batter, combine the flour, eggs, 1 Tbs of butter, salt, pepper, and cornstarch to a blender. Blend until well combined and frothy. You can use a large bowl and a whisk or electric mixer if you prefer.
- Take the skillet out of the oven and melt the remaining 2 tbs of butter in it. You want to brush it around the bottom and sides so that the pan is evenly coated. Pour in the batter and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and add the cheese and pancetta. Broil for 1 minute until the cheese is melted.
- Finish by adding the chives and arugula. Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with Savory Dutch Baby
In the mood for something sweet alongside the savory dutch baby? I recommend whipping up my favorite Buckwheat Chai Spiced Scones
Need some more inspiration for what to add to your brunch buffet? try my Crispy Smash Potatoes with Bacon Aioli
Another breakfast staple that is always a hit at brunch is this easy Shakshouka
Cheddar and Chive Savory Dutch Baby
- ⅔ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅔ Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbs Corn Starch
- 3 Tbs Butter, divided
- ½ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tsp Chives, chopped
- 1 oz Pancetta
- 1-2 Cups Arugula
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add eggs, milk, flour, 1 Tbs butter, and cornstarch to a blender or large bowl if whisking. Blend until very smooth and slightly frothy.
- Slice pancetta into small cubes and cook in the skillet you will be using for the dutch baby. Cook over medium heat until the pancetta is crispy and the fat has rendered. Transfer the pancetta to a paper towel to drain the oil and move the skillet to the oven to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the remaining 2 Tbs of butter. Let it melt and brush it around so that it covers the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and transfer it back to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded cheese and pancetta. Broil for 1 minute or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and add the chives and arugula then serve and enjoy!