Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Bring the best flavor combination, chocolate and peanut butter, to a new level with these tasty no-bake treats. Chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are gooey marshmallow peanut butter crispy bars with a rich chocolate topping!
Peanut Butter rice krispies with chocolate
Peanut butter desserts rule around here. It’s hard to resist the sweet and salty combination in desserts like chocolate and peanut butter rice krispies treats, peanut butter sheet cake, or peanut butter glaze drizzled over brownies.
Peanut butter rice krispie treats are a delicious variation of everyone’s favorite scotcheroos recipe, except they are made without Karo syrup. Like gluten-free rice krispies treats, the base is made up of marshmallows, butter, and Rice Krispies cereal, but with creamy peanut butter mixed in and a thick layer of chocolate on top.
Chocolate peanut butter rice krispies treats are a naturally gluten-free no-bake dessert if using a gluten-free crispy rice cereal. See the linked post for suggested brands.
Also, to make vegan or dairy-free peanut butter rice krispie treats, replace the butter with a plant-based butter stick and use vegan mini marshmallows, such as Dandies brand. For the chocolate, use dairy-free chocolate, like Enjoy Life.
- Butter – The recipe calls for unsalted butter, but omit the salt if salted butter or a vegan butter stick is substituted.
- Marshmallows – Use mini marshmallows for faster melting. Set two cups aside to mix in with the crisp rice cereal. This is what makes the bars extra soft and gooey.
- Rice Krispie cereal – For gluten-free bars, be sure to read the label because some brands contain barley malt extract. I prefer Aldi or Malt-O-Meal brand.
- Peanut butter – Use creamy or crunchy for an added salty crunch.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – Melted chocolate chips makes the chocolate topping, but white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or even chopped candy bars would make an equally delish topping!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- ▢ 8 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal (see recipe notes for gluten-free brands)
- ▢ 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ▢ Two-10 ounce bags mini marshmallows, divided
- ▢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- ▢ 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Measure out the rice krispies cereal, set aside 2 cups of the mini marshmallows, and gather the remaining ingredients. Reserve the butter wrapper for later use.
- For easy removing and cutting, line a 9 X 13-inch pan with two large pieces of foil, criss-crossed. Press the foil up the sides and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining marshmallows (with the 2 cups removed), vanilla extract, and salt. Place the pot back over medium-low heat and stir continuously until the marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter. Stir in the cereal and the reserved 2 cups of mini marshmallows until evenly mixed. It is okay if the added marshmallows start to melt.
- Use the spatula to spoon into the prepared pan. Use the butter wrapper to press the mixture evenly, but being careful to no densely compact.
- Let the bars cool while the chocolate topping is prepared. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stopping to stir until fully melted. Use an offset spatula to evenly spread on top.
- Set at room temperature for the chocolate to cool and harden before cutting. Alternatively, place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to harden the chocolate quickly, but do not store in the refrigerator.
- DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE FEEDBACK AND/OR CLICK A STAR RATING ON THE RECIPE CARD!
- Important note: If you come across another brand that is not listed, look for MALT FLAVOR OR BARLEY on the ingredients label and avoid for gluten-free!
- Aldi (my preferred brand)
- Wegman’s (recommended)
- Malt-o-Meal (recommended)
- Nature’s Path
- Back To Nature
- Barbara’s Brown Rice Cereal
- One Degree Sprouted Brown Rice Crisp Cereal
- For best results, leave the bars uncut until ready to serve. Store at room temperature, wrapped securely in foil or in an airtight container, up to two days. Avoid storing in the refrigerator because the chocolate will become “chalky.”
- Recipe adapted from Gluten-Free Rice Krispie Treats