Strawberry-Filled Love Letter Pies
Sugar-sprinkled piecrust envelopes deliver a strawberry filling and sweet Valentine’s Day treat that’s quick and easy to assemble!
These Mini Strawberry Love Letter Pies are quick and easy
to assemble using refrigerated pie crust and deliver to your family, sweetheart or Galentine!
I used Pillsbury Pie Crusts but feel free to use your favorite
homemade pastry / pie dough recipe if you prefer.
One refrigerated pie crust will make two “love letters”.
In addition your your pie dough, you’ll also need:
♥ 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
♥ 1 tablespoon seedless strawberry preserves
♥ 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
♥ Whole milk, half and half or cream
♥ Sparkling Sugar (I used Wilton White Sparkling Sugar)
Start by allowing your refrigerated pie crust come up to room temperature, following the directions on the box.
Unfold pie crust and roll out on a lightly floured surface.
Cut a 6-inch square from the dough using a fluted pastry cutter.
Cut hearts from your excess dough, using a 1-inch heart cookie cutter.
Reroll dough scraps into 1/8-inch thickness and repeat procedure
for a second “love letter”.
In a small bowl, mix strawberries, preserves and cornstarch.
Arrange dough into a diamond shape on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon half of strawberry mixture into the center of dough.
Fold bottom point over strawberry mixture; fold right and left points
to meet in center, leaving top point unfolded.
Place 1 heart in center where your points meet and place 2 hearts
on either side of center heart for a total of 5 hearts.
Brush dough with milk. Sprinkle brushed dough with sparkling sugar which adds a sweet crunch and texture.
There will be some excess dough to cut additional hearts to
bake and serve alongside your love letters if desired. The mini hearts will take less time to bake.
Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown.
After 10 minutes, cover tops of envelopes loosely with a square of aluminum foil to prevent overbrowning.
Allow to stand on baking sheet 10 minutes before transferring
them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The small amount of strawberry filling in these pies prevents the filling from oozing out of the piecrust while baking so you have a pretty envelope to serve!
Feel free to adjust the quantity or substitute cherry or apple pie filling if you prefer.
Find 14+ Sweets & Treats for your Valentine’s Day Celebration, HERE.
Strawberry-Filled Love Letter Pies
- 1/2 14.1-ounce package refrigerated piecrusts (1 piecrust)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon seedless strawberry preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon whole milk (half and half or cream)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sparkling sugar
- Garnish: thinly sliced strawberries and sweetened whipped cream
- Bring refrigerated pie crust to room temperature before proceeding with recipe, following directions on box.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a small bowl, gently toss together strawberries, preserves and cornstarch; set aside.
- Cut 2 (4-inch) squares of aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pie crust. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut a 6-inch square from dough.
- Using small 1-inch heart cookie cutter, cut 5 hearts from excess dough.
- Roll remaining dough scraps into 1/8 -inch thickness and repeat.
- For each pie, arrange dough into a diamond shape on prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon half of strawberry mixture into the center of dough. Fold bottom point over strawberry mixture; fold right and left points to meet in center; leave top point unfolded.
- Place 1 heart in center where points meet and place 2 hearts on either side of center heart for a total of 5 hearts. Brush dough envelope and hearts with milk and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Place baking sheet in oven. After 10 minutes, place foil square (sprayed side down) loosely over the unfolded triangle to prevent overbrowning. Bake until golden brown, about 10 more minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes on baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, garnish with additional strawberries and whipped cream if desired.
- Substitute prepared cherry pie filling if preferred, being careful not to overfill to prevent the filling from oozing out all over the piecrust while baking.
This is truly adorable! I look forward to making some, but... Why can't both 6" squares and all hearts be cut at the same time?