Kathy's Soy Curl Tacos
This vegan soy curl taco recipe is quick and easy to make. This vegan taco meat cooks up in just 10 minutes creating an even easier taco night!
If you don’t have soy curls you can try my Slow Cooker Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling or Slow Cooker Mole Mushroom Vegan Tacos.
What are soy curls?
Butler foods make soy curls and they are made of non-GMO soybeans and that’s the only ingredient.
Whole soybeans are cooked and extruded to make a texture that looks like chicken strips once reconstituted with vegetable broth or hot water.
Basically, they come to you packaged up as dehydrated strips of soy protein. They are soy-free, vegan, gluten-free, low-calorie, high protein, and non-GMO.
While they may look like texturized vegetable protein, they are a cleaner product.
Are Butler soy curls safe to eat?
Unless you have a soy allergy soy curls are safe and delicious. If you have a soy product sensitivity you should avoid them.
Can you eat soy curls without cooking?
You can eat them without cooking, but they will be flavorless and have an unpleasant texture. They are dehydrated and crunchy as is, with not a lot of flavor.
Don’t have soy curls? Here are some substitution ideas:
Tacos are versatile and the filling possibilities are endless! A vegan’s best friend made with soy curls, tofu, hempeh, beans, and/or veggies – your choice.
Try adding the spice blend to pressed and crumbled tofu, tempeh, or air-fried cauliflower.
Kathy's Soy Curl Tacos
- ½ package Soy Curls, about 2 cups
Taco Seasoning Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon guajillo chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt or salt substitute
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Place the dry soy curls in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water, soak for 10 - 15 minutes or until they are soft and reconstituted.
- Strain the soy curl in a strainer over the sink and press the excess water out with a large spoon.
- Place in a small food processor and process until the pieces look like taco meat.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat then add the soy curl crumbles, then add the spices and mix well. Heat until hot throughout and the spices become fragrant.
- Optionally heat in the oven or in your air fryer to make it more crispy.
- Note: nutritionals are for the filling only!
Share your thoughts, or ask a question!