Coconut Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This is the BEST banana bread! It is moist, tender, and full of yummy ingredients including sweetened coconut and chocolate chips. You will LOVE this Coconut Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips!
Find this recipe and more on my blog HERE: https://sugarylogic.com/coconut-banana-bread-with-chocolate-chips/
This coconut banana bread is to die for! It has all the goodness you love about banana bread, but with the addition of coconut and chocolate chips. This recipe has everything you are looking for in the perfect banana bread. It is moist in texture and full of caramelized banana flavor. The melty chocolate chips throughout make this bread a delightful treat.
This banana bread recipe is made with brown sugar. When combined with the butter, the sugar creates a sort of caramel in which the bananas are sauteed in. This process strengthens the banana flavor as it infuses into the sugar-butter mixture. This banana bread is on the sweeter side and oh is it good!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Unsalted Butter - The butter melts alongside the brown sugar to create a caramel-like consistency for the banana slices to saute in.
- Bananas - When making banana bread (or any banana baked good for that matter) the bananas must be ripe. *See "Tips for Success" below for more details.
- Light Brown Sugar (packed) - Use light or dark brown sugar.
- Eggs (room temperature)
- Oil - Use a neutral-flavored oil like avocado or canola. For a more pronounced coconut flavor, use melted coconut oil.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Milk - Use whole milk or coconut milk (for an added coconut flavor).
- All-Purpose Flour - I have not experimented with any other flours in this recipe, only the tried and true all-purpose flour.
- Baking Soda
- Shredded Sweetened Coconut - The sweetened shredded coconut is sweet, yes, but it adds a lovely dessert-like quality to this banana bread that keeps you wanting more. Feel free to use unsweetened coconut to dial down sweetness and sugar content.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - The chocolate chips are the finishing touch for this bread. When served warm, they become melty and absolutely delicious. Semi-sweet chocolate chunks are also great in this bread.
How to Make Coconut Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter and sugar. Add the banana slices and cook until the bananas are softened in texture and caramelized. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Transfer the banana mixture to a large bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no longer hot.
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the liquid ingredients to the cooled banana mixture. Stir to combine.
Next, fold in the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Finally, fold in the shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Tips for Success
Use Ripe Bananas - The success of banana bread is dependent on ripe bananas. Why? First, their softer texture. Ripe bananas are easier to incorporate into the batter thanks to their softened consistency. Second, they are sweeter. As bananas ripen, the starch turns into sugar. This means a sweeter flavor, which is ideal for baked goods.
- Can you use black peel bananas? Yes! Do not throw them out because they are deliciously sweet in baked goods. Keep in mind they will be mushier and harder to slice.
Serve the Bread Room Temperature or Warm - For the best chocolate experience serve this bread room temperature or warm. Heat a slice in the microwave for 15-30 seconds for gooey, melty chocolate chips. *Pro Tip - Place a hefty scoop of vanilla ice cream over a warm slice of this coconut banana bread. (You can thank me later!)
Add Nuts for Crunch - Chopped pecans or walnuts are a DELICIOUS accompaniment to the other ingredients. They add a lovely crunch and nutty flavor. Toast them slightly before folding them in alongside the coconut and chocolate chips.
Allow the Bread to Cool Completely Before Slicing - To avoid sloppy slices, make sure the bread is completely cooled before slicing.
Freeze Ripe Bananas - Instead of throwing out over-ripened bananas, freeze them instead. Thaw them for future baking or use the frozen bananas in your smoothies.
Other Delicious Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I store banana bread? Store banana bread in an airtight container or tightly wrapped at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week. Storing the bread at room temperature keeps it moist, but shortens the shelf life while refrigerating extends it.
Can you freeze banana bread? Yes, quickbreads are great for freezing. Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
How do you prevent dry banana bread? Firstly, it is important that you measure the flour carefully and accurately to avoid dry bread. Secondly, make sure that the bananas are ripe. Additionally, it is important that you do not over-mix the batter before baking the bread.
How do you tell when banana bread is done baking? The bread will have a caramelized top and when a toothpick is inserted into the center, it will come out clean.
This coconut banana bread with chocolate chips is the real deal. Once you start eating it, you will not be able to stop. This really is the BEST banana bread, but I will let you be the judge. Enjoy a slice with a cup of coffee for the perfect afternoon pick-me-up.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review on my website!
Coconut Banana Bread With Chocolate Chips
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 ripe bananas sliced
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and sugar. Add the banana slices and cook until the bananas are softened in texture and caramelized. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Transfer the banana mixture to a large bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and no longer hot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the cooled banana mixture. Stir to combine.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Finally, fold in the shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake the bread for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.